Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Want to See in a Game?
Question 
What Do You Want to See in a Game?
Hello everyone, I have covertly mentioned in the past that I was "developing video games" in the application of my passion, my life, my skills. I plan to go indie, though I might have to earn money through paid employment first. Being a 1-man freelancer is quite slow, so I should only expect to be getting a license and publisher after some number of years. But I plan to assemble a team before even that. So no, I am not announcing any kind of game. Besides, if I did, my work could get stolen.

What I want to discuss, is to ask fellow gamers a very relevant question:

What do you want to see in a video game?

Sorry for the really vague/general question. I want you to think about it though.

You can answer that question in any way you like. Some might say they want to see gorgeous graphics. Some may say they want to see difficult skill-based gameplay. Some may say they want to blow shit up. And some may say they want to hear beautiful music. That choice is yours, but I still want to hear you voice it. Your opinion as feedback is what I need to improve design after all: by adding, removing, or changing content. Thanks for visiting.

You can ask me questions about the game I am working on, but I might refuse to give specifics or an excess of information.
RE: What Do You Want to See in a Game?
For me personally, you can't go past a good storyline. Also, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't actually want too much realism in my graphics. For example, I used to be a big gamer but not so much in the last 10 years or so, so the last couple of years my gameplay has been pretty much limited to Mario Kart and Guitar Hero/Rock Band - until I played The Walking Dead (not the piece of shit one) and more recently The Wolf Among Us - love them! Love the art style, love the storyline, could maybe do with a little more player interaction but other than that, they're great games.

Not sure how helpful any of that is to what you're asking, but that's my 2c worth.
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
Quote:Also, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't actually want too much realism in my graphics.

Do not worry, the only realism involved in this game is its lovely physics engine. I will tell You that it is a fantasy game based upon reality.
This is probably going to be the dorkiest reply ever, but I still love interactive fiction, or text adventure, games. The really good ones blow away any graphic games. I fell in love with Zork as a kid and never stopped. Luckily, there's a healthy community of IF out there, but I worry that it will die.

Play IF! Support IF! Graphics are for losers!

Write a good IF game, Void.
I've always really liked open world games and can usually get into them no matter what genre. Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Infamous, Skyrim, and the Legend of Zelda are all game series that are open world that I'll not only enjoy playing but I'll replay as well. Generally with open world games there are so many different ways that you can mold your character and play the game differently.
I like games with strong story that let you affect the outcome of the game depending on your choices within the game. I also like a robust romance system, that does not discriminate against same-sex relationships. So Bioware is mah dawg.
Yup, If mass effect has taught me anything, it's that a game needs boobies, lesbian blue alien boobies.

But yes the music is everything, mass effect 3 and most of the halo series stand out to me as examples of what music in a game can do. If I don't get goosebumps, it ain't good enough. Diablo's music as well, particularly the tristram themes.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(October 29, 2013 at 9:58 pm)Zazzy Wrote: This is probably going to be the dorkiest reply ever, but I still love interactive fiction, or text adventure, games. The really good ones blow away any graphic games. I fell in love with Zork as a kid and never stopped. Luckily, there's a healthy community of IF out there, but I worry that it will die.

Play IF! Support IF! Graphics are for losers!

Write a good IF game, Void.

Wow Zork, that brings back 25 year old memories of a commodore 64 and a dictionary.
Thanks for the responses so far, guys! They help, they really do!
I can only concur, though a decent storyline is easiest to do, the more sanbox-y it is, the better. I also like decent NPCs/party members with intriguing backgrounds and the possibility to be interactive with them (not to mention romancing, I'm still crushing on Alistair and Garrus Heart ). If there's fighting, it doesn't have to be intricate or you being able to have a thousands of moves (i.e. WoW), I prefer having to chose from some moves and make a build that works for me (i.e. Guild Wars). I can't say which I like better though, tough turn-based fights like in FFX or button-mashing with reflex opportunities like in Kingdom Hearts II. Anything goes as long as the story is solid.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2138 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What is the weirdest video game you've ever played? Edwardo Piet 23 2842 February 23, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Car enthusiast or love cars and fixing them this game is for you. dyresand 13 2103 November 3, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The "Have you played [...]?" game Edwardo Piet 16 2248 December 3, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Want some cheap games? dyresand 9 1262 October 1, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Come and see me get my arse kicked on Twitch! Iroscato 6 802 September 29, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Would love to game with some of you:) Edwardo Piet 11 2222 July 10, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  [Idea] Multiplayer Browser Based Game Where You Create Your Own Religion Tiberius 52 11702 June 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  What game/s are you playing right now? Adjusted Sanity 44 17111 April 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet