Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 12:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Idea] Multiplayer Browser Based Game Where You Create Your Own Religion
[Idea] Multiplayer Browser Based Game Where You Create Your Own Religion
Not sure how long I've had this idea, but it's been in the back of my mind for a while now, and I wanted to put the idea out there to see if people would even be interested in this type of game before I start properly developing it.

The general concept is a browser / mobile based game where you create a religion and compete against other users (and their religions). It's a browser based game, so not overly graphical, but it's more about performing certain actions, gaining points / money, levelling up, etc. Users would create their "religion", choose a type (monotheistic, polytheistic, atheistic, etc.) and would then be able to perform certain actions (skills) in order to gain followers, money, XP, etc.

Skills would be timer-based (e.g. you have to wait x minutes to use the skill again). Certain skills can be used against other users (e.g. try to convert followers away from an opponent's religion).

Gaining followers / money could also be achieved by building structures (e.g. churches) which would gain you a specific amount of followers per hour. Naturally, users can attempt to destroy / takeover structures owned by other users.

Every time a user levels up, they are presented with an doctrinal issue that they have to decide upon. For example, they may be asked what their religion believes in regarding the afterlife, and they will be presented with a number of multiple choice options. Their decision would have affects on how certain aspects of their religion evolves, but no answer would be necessarily disadvantageous.

I have a load of other ideas, but that is a general overview without going into too much detail. Part of me wanting to do this is just fun and wanting to program a big project again, however part of me also wants to monetize it (in a sort of freemium sense, but cautiously so paid users don't have a massive advantage over free users).

Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested in this type of game. It's very early days yet, but ultimately I will need people to alpha / beta test it, and contribute ideas, etc.
RE: [Idea] Multiplayer Browser Based Game Where You Create Your Own Religion
I like it!

Simligion?
Elosim?
Sheeple Tycoon?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

that religion will be like an algorithm that i write or just things i choose from a menu ?
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
That sounds awesome! There are so many cool ways you can go with this. I'd play it for sure.

Do you plan on adding a feature that would allow personalizing the deity/deities? Cause that would be rad.
(April 20, 2015 at 3:31 pm)Alex K Wrote: I like it!

Simligion?
Elosim?
Sheeple Tycoon?
Name is still to be decided. The key thing is this isn't going to be anti-religious in any way; I want religious people to be able to play as much as atheists. I'm trying to make it as balanced as possible.

(April 20, 2015 at 3:33 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: that religion will be like an algorithm that i write or just things i choose from a menu ?
Your religion will be mainly based on your answers to the doctrinal issues that are presented to you. I had an idea that the game would feature different regions (countries) that each have different stats. So for instance, if you answer a doctrinal issue a certain way, you may gain an advantage in one region, but a disadvantage in another, which would affect how many followers you gain from those regions. It would be a user's choice to either try and gain a moderate amount of followers from all regions, or ignoring some regions and focusing on gaining a large number of followers from one region specifically.

(April 20, 2015 at 3:35 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: That sounds awesome! There are so many cool ways you can go with this. I'd play it for sure.

Do you plan on adding a feature that would allow personalizing the deity/deities? Cause that would be rad.
Good idea, however I'd have to think about how to deal with atheistic religions and make it fair / balanced for them.
(April 20, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Your religion will be mainly based on your answers to the doctrinal issues that are presented to you. I had an idea that the game would feature different regions (countries) that each have different stats. So for instance, if you answer a doctrinal issue a certain way, you may gain an advantage in one region, but a disadvantage in another, which would affect how many followers you gain from those regions. It would be a user's choice to either try and gain a moderate amount of followers from all regions, or ignoring some regions and focusing on gaining a large number of followers from one region specifically.

That is a great idea. It adds a challenge to the gameplay and requires strategy. It kind of reminds me of Plague Inc. and other games similar to these, but this one would be more complex.

(April 20, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Good idea, however I'd have to think about how to deal with atheistic religions and make it fair / balanced for them.

Yeah, that would be a slight problem. What about replacing deities with gurus, philosophers, leaders or something like this?
(April 20, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(April 20, 2015 at 3:31 pm)Alex K Wrote: I like it!

Simligion?
Elosim?
Sheeple Tycoon?
Name is still to be decided. The key thing is this isn't going to be anti-religious in any way; I want religious people to be able to play as much as atheists. I'm trying to make it as balanced as possible.
Ok, completely agree. So... Sheeple Tycoon is out Tongue
Quote:
(April 20, 2015 at 3:35 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: That sounds awesome! There are so many cool ways you can go with this. I'd play it for sure.

Good idea, however I'd have to think about how to deal with atheistic religions and make it fair / balanced for them.

Atheistic religions could have abstract universal principles which align with character traits or ideals of the player...
Depends on what Neim. means by personalizing
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 20, 2015 at 3:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: Atheistic religions could have abstract universal principles which align with character traits or ideals of the player...
Depends on what Neim. means by personalizing

Yeah, that would be cool, too.

With deities I had something like choosing the name, traits and maybe appearance, though Tiberius mentioned it isn't going to be too graphic.
This is pretty cool. The player could have direct control of prophets, and those prophets could have a myth grow around them based on certain actions performed. Ex: Harvest grapes to make wine--> two towns over, they hear about a man of god who turns water into wine--> depending on the town, you gain followers or enemies.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(April 20, 2015 at 3:53 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Yeah, that would be cool, too.

With deities I had something like choosing the name, traits and maybe appearance, though Tiberius mentioned it isn't going to be too graphic.
Ah, then yes in that case I had something in mind for that. There will be a load of options which don't really affect gameplay but are just there to make the customisation of your religion as widespread as possible.

So for instance, you would be able to set what your religion is called, what your followers are called, what your churches are called, upload graphics for certain things (deities is a good one, but also your religion's symbol). Really none of that would have an impact on gameplay, but it would allow you to create a personalised religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is/was your favorite arcade game? Angrboda 27 2062 August 12, 2023 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The idea behind mods Apex1050 5 836 May 30, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What is the weirdest video game you've ever played? Edwardo Piet 23 2805 February 23, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Car enthusiast or love cars and fixing them this game is for you. dyresand 13 2076 November 3, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Religion Game" Alpha Testing Tiberius 10 1390 April 1, 2016 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Input/Ideas needed for Multiplayer Browser Based Game Tiberius 23 2834 February 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Parashu
  The "Have you played [...]?" game Edwardo Piet 16 2229 December 3, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  KSP multiplayer anyone? dyresand 2 804 November 29, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Would love to game with some of you:) Edwardo Piet 11 2203 July 10, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  BlackSwordsman: My own Forum BlackSwordsman 5 1208 June 3, 2014 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: BlackSwordsman