Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument Against Religious Experience as Validation
Argument Against Religious Experience as Validation
For those waiting for me to finish responding to some posts, I'll do so tomorrow sometime. However, I thought about this particular claim by religious apologists (specifically William Lane Craig, but includes people like Richard Swinburne) and I wanted to get it out of my head so I didn't forget it. To quote Craig:

Quote:"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit, in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenicating way of knowing Christianity is true, wholly apart from the evidence."

Okay, so this essentially says that the witness of the Holy Spirit and its impression on Craig's, erm, heart (he might want to get that checked out...) allows Craig to know his worldview is true, even if all the evidence was apparently against such.

Now clearly, Craig and his fellow apologists cannot accept this sort of spooky feeling of supernatural phenomenon be an actual epistemological standard, because otherwise ALL supernaturalists could claim that they feel the witness of Divine/Supernatural thing X as an automatic validation of their worldview. So Craig necessarily has to assume that only he and his fellow ideologues can make this move. That is special pleading. And notice how I haven't (yet) made the argument that such an experience cannot be a validation of whatever supernatural thing or that people do not have these experiences, just that one cannot be justified in saying that such validates their religious worldview as true over other supernaturalists.

But things get much worse for theists making this move: These religious experiences cannot be used in the first place as a validation of such a worldview or even as a basis for an inference to the best explanation. And the reason is very simple. Your experiences alone do not tell you anything about the cause, nature or origin of that which you're experiencing. I'm not special pleading against religious experiences here either, because this is the case with all experiences. Take this for exanple: Say there is someone (a young child, say) who only knows about, I dunno, fire from an experience of having been burned by it. What does this personal experience justify? Well, only what it is like to experience having been burned. This child's experience tells them nothing about what fire's nature is, its constituents are, how it works or what its origin is.

In other words, a mere personal experience alone, of any phenomena, is impotent for understanding it or using it as validation for some metaphysical truth.

And because I feel lie being a bit of an asshole, I'll throw this on the spot argument in there:

Argument Against Religious Experience as Validation Wrote:P1) Personal experience alone, of any phenomenon, doesn't give justification for claiming knowledge of the nature, workings or cause (NWC, shorthand) of that experience. (premise)

P2) If one knows of a phenomenon purely through a personal experience of it, they do not have justification for claims of knowledge regarding that phenomenon's NWC. (conditional)

P3) The "witness of the Holy Spirit" is a personal experience. (premise)

C) Therefore, the supposed experience of the Holy Spirit alone cannot be adequate justification for claiming knowledge of the NWCs of that experience. (conclusion, from 1 - 3)

The argument is a simple modus ponens, so the validity is there as far as i can tell. And the only way that I can see that the soundness can be disputed is by making the extremely bold claim (among several) that one has defeated external world skepticism. And I'll be expecting to see your name in the philosophy texts books from now on if you do. Wink
RE: Argument Against Religious Experience as Validation
Craig is not a lunatic. He's a con artist and all one has to do is look at his marks and you'll understand why.
It always amazes me when you talk to people who claim personal experience of God how quick they are to dismiss the claims of others - who might have experienced Allah or Vishnu, Alien abduction, Bigfoot, the Lock Ness monster and so on.

I never get a good reaction when I explain that, to me, they are all the same....
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
It's an alloy of Circular Reasoning, Special Pleading and Confirmation Bias, rendering to "I know it's true because I believe it's true and that proves it".

I know Santa is real because I get presents every year.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I see your failure, however from our last discussion I know you will just use word twisting gymnastics so you want have to admit you're wrong.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
???

You on drugs?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
A person so thoroughly entrenched in his own confirmation bias that he lacks even the basis for understanding why confirmation bias is what his problem is. I think the problem is that he needs drugs.
The trouble is that there's no reasoning with someone who says "The bible says it, I believe it, that settles it."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm)Godschild Wrote: I see your failure, however from our last discussion I know you will just use word twisting gymnastics so you want have to admit you're wrong.

GC

The above is the intellectual equivalent of "I know something you don't know. Neener neener neener!"
[quote='MindForgedManacle' pid='536313' dateline='1383365904']

[quote]
"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit, in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenicating way of knowing Christianity is true, wholly apart from the evidence."
[/quote][/quote]

WLC isn't saying that you should be convinced by the Witness of The Holy Spirit. He is saying that he is.

The personal experience of something real cannot be invalidated by an atheist claiming it never happened. How would you know that a persons experience of sensus divinatus was false or fake?

The fact that theists of various religions interpret their experience in differing ways does NOT mean that none of them are real. (Science doesn't always produce unanimous agreement on the data either.)

When the atheist says...I never heard God or sensed a divine experience, I'm not skeptical of THEIR claim. I believe them!

[Quote]...And because I feel like being a bit of an asshole, I'll throw this on the spot argument in there:[/quote]

Great intellectual approach you have going there. That typifies the emotional basis for so much of what passes for counter-apologetics. Atheists get angry at the argument from intelligent design. Why? It's a purely intellectual question of cosmology. The Kalam argument isn't an argument for one particular religion but anti-theists go nuts trying to refute even the possibility that intentional causation might be a real factor in the origin of events 13.7 billion years ago.

[quote][quote='Argument Against Religious Experience as Validation']
P1) Personal experience alone, of any phenomenon, doesn't give justification for claiming knowledge of the nature, workings or cause (NWC, shorthand) of that experience. (premise)

P2) If one knows of a phenomenon purely through a personal experience of it, they do not have justification for claims of knowledge regarding that phenomenon's NWC. (conditional)

P3) The "witness of the Holy Spirit" is a personal experience. (premise)

C) Therefore, the supposed experience of the Holy Spirit alone cannot be adequate justification for claiming knowledge of the NWCs of that experience. (conclusion, from 1 - 3)
[/quote]

This fails outright at the first premise.

Science is based on the experience of scientists reporting stuff to others who weren't there. We either have to believe their reported testimony or put it to the test by repetition. I can't fly to the moon, so I have simply take on faith what is said by others who claim to have been there.

You say....oh but Lion IRC, divine experience isn't repeatable like science.

But it is. William Lane Craig is not the only person to have had first-hand direct experience of what Christians call God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 2959 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3140 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8040 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living? Aegon 27 3140 May 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13759 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68423 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1153 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  An argument against God Mystic 37 8798 October 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2259 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  "Knockdown" Argument Against Naturalism Mudhammam 16 5564 January 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda