Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi guys, newbie here
Hi guys, newbie here
Hi ladies and gents. Hope you all find a minute to read my brief(ish) introduction and reasoning for joining these forums.

So i'm just some guy from the UK who has been pondering the big questions etc for a while now. For some time (particularly during and immediately after my student years) i've been an agnostic of some sorts. Raised in a not-that-observant anglican family (and christened) I probably stopped believing in any sort of personal god during my late teens, but always adopted the safe-bet 'Open minded' Agnostic tag when describing myself, at least that's how I thought of it at the time.

I'd always had a tendency to defend religion or religious people from absolute hostility and confrontation because I believe that freedom is important, but in the last 24 months in particular i've come to seriously quesiton just how much certain elements of religious dogma actually threaten the freedoms that I hold dear. I've come to the point where I can no longer reconcile my firm belief in such things as women's rights and the importance of scientific endevour with my realisation that certain people within religious circles are actively seeking to undermine said values, and not in some daft primitive desert tribe from a time long gone, but in the here and now.

The tipping point for me was working with a number of muslim and christian colleagues, in 21st century Britain, in a Pathology lab no less (where science is THE modus operandi) and finding that educated adults from modest backgrounds think i'm a quack for believing that humans evolved from lesser hominids, that women should be allowed to work, and that the earth is not only 6000 years (ish) old but that the earliest humans were 30 metres tall (rather than slightly shorter in stature as the fossil record actually demonstrates). The unusual opinions that I previously tolerated were now actively engaging me in debate and even mocking me on occasions.

This, plus some run ins with unwanted door-to-door preachers handing me "scientific publications" which are riddled with lies and misleading quotes, has led me to harden my stance when it comes to the acceptance of ideas that are neither rational nor reasoned. I'd owned a bible and koran for some time but I wanted to broaden my scope so i've been reading the usual stuff; Hitchens, Dan Barker, Dawkins, Krauss etc to get a range of ideas, and it's left me feeling almost intimidated in that I feel like I'm the one in the minority in an ocean of nonsense, in a developed western country where secular reason had been gaining ground in recent decades. I feel like everything is under assault from some truly loony (and I have to use that word) individuals.

It's left me feeling quite isolated and frustrated almost (not in a lonely way, it's just that my partner, friends and family on the whole do not see the assault in the same way that I do) and I suppose I felt an urge to search out some sensible discussion in order to A) Reassure myself that i'm not the only one that isn't completely bloody barmy, and B) Perhaps engage some theists in debate and get a chance to let off some steam (in an appropriate and measured manner of course).

So, hi guys.
RE: Hi guys, newbie here
Welcome Smile

I read it. The whole thing. Just don't feel awful if others skip through it and make smart comments about how long it is. You'll probably do it, too, eventually, and I will be either warning someone else about everyone else (you included), or skipping through and being a smart ass. Depends on what mood I'm in. It seems today I'm smart ass.

Stick around, have fun, and bacon.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^

Yeah, I understand your pain. It's hard not to become cynical due to all the problems you mentioned. I wish I had a good solution to the problem, but I don't.. Undecided
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(November 2, 2013 at 6:59 am)WesOlsen Wrote: Hi ladies and gents.

I'm going to welcome you to the caliphate, even though you didn't include plastic robots who are fun to be with in your "Hi".
Your plastic pal who's fun to be with![Image: b7wAvWj.png]

I feel you. Intellectually I insist on tolerance toward those who have been indoctrinated to see the world through cultish glasses. But then you realize just how little intelligence means to some of those you tolerate. One wants to think we're all peers but then you notice that some of your fellow beings are smugly intolerant and keen to throw their feces everywhere. It is what it is.
I've seen your posts around the forum and I like you very much already! Stick around and have fun.
Welcome!

No you're not alone.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
My family too has issue with understanding why I even come to this forum much less comprehending why I am even concerned in the slightest about religious doctrine now that I'm an atheist! In short, I feel your pain. I hope you find what you're looking for here, I know I have Smile

:Welcome:
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Hi, Wes, and welcome!

I'm a long poster, too, so we can commiserate. I also empathize with your situation. I stopped viewing the influence of religion on society as a net neutral long ago. It is now firmly in the "Not Good" category.

Enjoy your time here -- I feel sure it will fulfill some of your stated goals!
Hey newbie (name you gave yourself Tongue)

There are some theists (and poes) here who will tell you that you are a moron for not believing in their particular version of god. You may be told that hell awaits you. You may be mocked. Your intelligence may be challenged or insulted. You may be threatened. Just remember - it's all done in the name of Jesus.

On a happier note Welcome

Glad to have you here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3255 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 820 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 911 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1216 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4