Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembrance Day - An Atheist in a Foxhole
Remembrance Day - An Atheist in a Foxhole
Short post on the British Rationalist Association webpage from an atheist British solider serving in Afghan. It describes the memorial that is held before a comrade's body is shipped back to be repatriated.

I found it pretty emotive, especially as I know a few guys over there who are also atheists. It gives a small insight as to what some of them might be thinking, especially the ending paragraph.

http://rationalist.org.uk/articles/2684/last-post
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Remembrance Day - An Atheist in a Foxhole
Thanks for this.

That fellow is one heckuva writer.
It annoyed me today at our units remembrance service all the jesus said this and jesus said that. I am all for remembering the fallen but keep religion out of it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: It annoyed me today at our units remembrance service all the jesus said this and jesus said that. I am all for remembering the fallen but keep religion out of it.

That's why I prefer to avoid veteran's memorial ceremonies as much as possible. The Godbots can't help but inject God and Jesus into everything, especially in this part of the country. That's all I need to be reminded that, even though I'm a military veteran, I'm still a second-class citizen.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12459 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Almost In A Foxhole! Kyuuketsuki 9 4306 July 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit