Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost In A Foxhole!
Almost In A Foxhole!
I was thinking it might be rather fund to relate your not-quite-a-foxhole tales.

Mine is when I was in the army, boot camp, 3 months.

On the forms it said I was atheist but within a week I discovered the entire squad was expected to go to CofE prayers meeting or whatever it was ... naturally I objected.

So when they rest of the squad was in their meeting, I was assigned to picking up rubbish in the bitter cold wind outside ... you can be sure I found God soon after that (I think it was in an old plastic shopping bag Confusedhock: and I stayed "religious" until I left for the real army where such things didn't seem to happen).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Almost In A Foxhole!
There are a lot of good reasons for submission to the lord. The lord gives you warmth when it is cold outside, for one thing.

I reckon at the time you weren't that foul mouthed as is so typical for your contributions here on AF? Rolleyes
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(July 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I reckon at the time you weren't that foul mouthed as is so typical for your contributions here on AF?

I'm WYSIWYG ... I'd rather say exactly what I think than hide behind innuendo and so-called diplomacy ... this isn't a popularity contest which is a good thing because I'd lose Thinking

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

(July 6, 2009 at 3:40 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I'm WYSIWYG ... I'd rather say exactly what I think than hide behind innuendo and so-called diplomacy ... this isn't a popularity contest which is a good thing because I'd lose Thinking
Well we all have our quirks and we all claim to say what we think. We are a pretty lot over here, really Confused
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
(July 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Well we all have our quirks and we all claim to say what we think. We are a pretty lot over here, really

Believe what you wish, I'm serious ... like me or not, like the way I debate/argue or not the one thing I am is WYSIWYG. I don't do diplomacy, I don't do subtlety, I don't do devious ... I do straight down the line, what I say is what I mean, I have no side! It's my defining characteristic and what little charm I possess.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

(July 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Believe what you wish, I'm serious ... like me or not, like the way I debate/argue or not the one thing I am is WYSIWYG. I don't do diplomacy, I don't do subtlety, I don't do devious ... I do straight down the line, what I say is what I mean, I have no side! It's my defining characteristic and what little charm I possess.
I knew that you were being serious the first time. You're a natural. I have to use force on myself trying not to give the socially accepable opinions.
I'm WYSIWYG too...but I'm different to Kyu in (at least) some other ways lol Smile

EvF
I am of a similar character: "I say precisely what I mean, and mean precisely what I say." If I disagree with your position or find fault in your reasoning, that is precisely the nature of my response to you (whoever I happen to be addressing); I will disagree with considered rationale, finding zero value in excoriating mockery.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
Kyu foul mouthed?

Can't say I've ever fucking noticed. Oh dear, did I just make a cunt of myself?

I usually swear mainly for emphasis or when peeved (or indeed so miffed I've flown into a perfect tizzy) OR if some self righteous twat tells me I shouldn't.Then I'm likely to tell such a knob knocking mattress raper to go fuck itself.

Of course,I wouldn't DREAM of doing such a coarse thing here, direct insults are not allowed.I can only hope this one is sufficiently oblique to pass muster.Angel
(July 7, 2009 at 1:22 am)padraic Wrote: Kyu foul mouthed?

Can't say I've ever fucking noticed. Oh dear, did I just make a cunt of myself?

I usually swear mainly for emphasis or when peeved (or indeed so miffed I've flown into a perfect tizzy) OR if some self righteous twat tells me I shouldn't.Then I'm likely to tell such a knob knocking mattress raper to go fuck itself.

Of course,I wouldn't DREAM of doing such a coarse thing here, direct insults are not allowed.I can only hope this one is sufficiently oblique to pass muster.Angel
I really have no say in this, but I reckon you are completely in the clear when it is WYSIWYG swearing. If you wanna fuck yourself the WYSIWIG way, then by all means do so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7806 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Either way - It's almost too amazing to be true. Mystic 37 6889 April 22, 2014 at 7:25 am
Last Post: archangle
  Remembrance Day - An Atheist in a Foxhole Fidel_Castronaut 3 1147 November 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  i am almost baffled by the situation arjun 45 12229 March 7, 2012 at 8:40 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  My "Manifesto" is almost complete ^_^ Voltair 6 1438 December 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Voltair