Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's Greatest Regret
God's Greatest Regret
How does the god of the bible suddenly regret the creations he claims to love? The one creation god made in his own image - he now regrets making so much that he drowns everyone? Millions of christians attempt to teach us that god loves everyone. I'm glad my parents never "loved" me that way.

Seriously now ... How does a "perfect god" have ANY regret ... let alone one so great that he kills nearly every living creature HE made?

[Image: flood.jpg]

This is not necessarily a thread about the flood. I want to know why a perfect god says, "Uh oh ...... ooops."
Ummm, I thought you were perfect.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: God's Greatest Regret
What does being 'perfect' have to do with feeling sorrow?
This,

Quote:There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Genesis 6:4

This was where shit just got too weird.
Angel Sperm: breakfast of CHAMPIONS!!!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(November 12, 2013 at 11:45 am)ToriJ Wrote: This,

Quote:There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Genesis 6:4

This was where shit just got too weird.

The whole of fucking genesis is weird. Scratch that. The whole fucking book is weird.
"Uh oh ...... ooops," is an expression denoting that an error was made. Another way of saying it is - sorry.

God says sorry for drowning everyone by producing a rainbow and promising not to do it again.

God, therefore, made an error.

Bang goes perfection.

Of course we could carry on from there. God drowned the world because it was full of sin. According to Christians everywhere the world today is full of sin. Another fuck up from God then. He drowned the world to purge it of sin and yet, here we are, all sinners together.

I should also point out, again, that features such as wroth, pride, envy and vanity do not sit will with the idea of perfection.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Quote:What does being 'perfect' have to do with feeling sorrow?

Let's see....the question is really, why is your "perfect" god such a fuck up?

Quote: 31 God saw everything that he had made, and indeed it was very good.

Gen. 1

So your "god" was happy but he still felt the need to shortly thereafter kill almost every fucking thing he made? What a douchebag.
(November 12, 2013 at 11:39 am)Drich Wrote: What does being 'perfect' have to do with feeling sorrow?

Indeed, being perfect has absolutely nothing to do with your god, whether in theory or in practice.
Emotions are reactions. The idea of a legitimate emotional reaction to something you've literally seen coming for an eternity is absurd. But the people who were putting words in God's mouth didn't have the imagination to devise more than an arbitrary and murderous oriental potentate written large.
(November 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Emotions are reactions. The idea of a legitimate emotional reaction to something you've literally seen coming for an eternity is absurd. But the people who were putting words in God's mouth didn't have the imagination to devise more than an arbitrary and murderous oriental potentate written large.

Let's say your wife is a recovering drug addict. She stays clean and sober so long as she stays away from certain people. Because in the past you know if she starts talking to old 'friends' she will fall back into her old ways.

Let's then say she ran into an 'old friend' taking your kid to a soccer game and fell off the wagon. Now even though you knew this would happen, do you feel any less sorrowful, or even angry just because you saw this comming?

What if instead of drugs she cheated on you. Let's say you knew if she meets up with a certain someone she does the mommy and daddy dance with someone besides daddy... would the foreknoweledge of your wife's future infedelity change the way you feel about it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I regret joining the Catholic Church Der/die AtheistIn 7 2280 November 26, 2017 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3835 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12439 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  The Greatest Fictional War Ever JosephBowie 17 5532 November 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  The World's Greatest Chart Marnie 26 8509 October 24, 2012 at 1:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Does the award for the greatest evil go to Satan or God? Greatest I am 33 15258 August 31, 2012 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Greatest I am
  God loves the evil ones more than the good because he is the greatest sinner. Greatest I am 8 7449 July 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6703 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
Question Satan's Greatest TrickS (3) reverendjeremiah 0 1611 March 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah