Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life?
anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life?
I get really irritated when people say suicide is selfish and wrong and stuff.

I think suicide is what happens when a person is pushed to a point where he can't take it anymore and just wants the pain to stop.

They say "oh u can get psychiatric help" but psychiatric help doesn't always help.

I think under circumstances suicide should be acceptable.

For example if I was paralyzed I wouldn't want to live just because everyone who isn't paralyzed tells me I'm coward if I die, its easy for them to be so pro life when they have healthy bodies.

I really hated in my old Christian communities how they were so pro life for the sake of their morals rather than caring about how Much a person is suffering.

What is the atheist stance on suicide/euthanasia? Now I know from my previous thread y'all said atheists don't follow a dogma u guys just don't believe in a god, but seems like u all do agree in what u believe, ie: u all thought holistic medicine was bs.

So how do we feel about euthanasia?

Its really frustrating cuz I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks that in many cases suicide is better than living.
RE: anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life?
No, I am prolife for the sake of giving our excessively numerous progenies no end of miseries to look forward to during their nasty, short and brutish lives on an overpopulated and resource depleted world made even more hellish by teleevengalists telling them during every waking hour that life is everything and quality of life nothing. I wouldn't want to know I didn't live during the least miserable period during humanity's existence, and i would resent it if things could still become less bad after I die and am no longer here to enjoy it.
(November 13, 2013 at 12:07 am)leodeo Wrote: I get really irritated when people say suicide is selfish and wrong and stuff.

I think suicide is what happens when a person is pushed to a point where he can't take it anymore and just wants the pain to stop.

They say "oh u can get psychiatric help" but psychiatric help doesn't always help.

I think under circumstances suicide should be acceptable.

For example if I was paralyzed I wouldn't want to live just because everyone who isn't paralyzed tells me I'm coward if I die, its easy for them to be so pro life when they have healthy bodies.

I really hated in my old Christian communities how they were so pro life for the sake of their morals rather than caring about how Much a person is suffering.

What is the atheist stance on suicide/euthanasia? Now I know from my previous thread y'all said atheists don't follow a dogma u guys just don't believe in a god, but seems like u all do agree in what u believe, ie: u all thought holistic medicine was bs.

So how do we feel about euthanasia?

Its really frustrating cuz I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks that in many cases suicide is better than living.

It's a difficult one.

Suicide itself should be avoided if at all possible. If you're depressed you can seek counselling and it DOES help. Trust me, I suffer from depression and have been suicidal because of it.

Some people, I admit, cannot be saved. They'll find any reason to commit suicide and will likely find a way to do it whatever you try to do to stop them.

Euthanasia, however, using your example of being paralysed, I support if there's no hope, the person has no standard of living and is in continual pain and wants to die.
Dying to live, living to die.
Suicide is cultural.

Japanese military and even some civilians considered it their duty.
Quote: Eight cumulus arise
For the lovers to hide within
The eightfold fence of Izumo Province
Enclose those eightfold clouds-
Oh how marvellous that eightfold fence!

I’ll whisper a secret to you: Don’t be fooled by our smiles and gentleness, our ceremonial and our bowing and sweetnesses and attentions. Beneath them all we can be a million ri away, safe and alone. For that’s what we seek-oblivion

James Clavell's SHOGUN page 575
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Wakarimasu.

[Image: samurai-suicide-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(November 13, 2013 at 1:01 am)Minimalist Wrote: Suicide is cultural.

Japanese military and even some civilians considered it their duty.

It's not just the Japanese.

There was a tradition in the western navies that gained strength during the 19th century and was descernible through WWII that demand a captain of a prestigious ship to go down with his ship if his ship is lost. Similarly senior military officer compelled to surrender his troop is expected to expiate the shame by shooting himself.

In germany during 19th and early 20th century unmarried women are expected to commit suicide if they agree to a marriage proposal without their father's consent and their fiancé subsequently break the engagement. Similarly if an unmarried woman chooses to leave home to pursue a trade or craft is also expected to commit suicide if they are publically rebuked for inadequacy in their chosen trade or craft.

It wasn't so long ago that many western societies also regarded personal honor to be easily injured, and injuries to honor must be expiated by death.
I've always been confused why "My body, my choice" doesn't include suicide.
Yeah, Chuck, suicide as atonement for disaster goes back a long way but, as you pointed out, usually applied to commanders.

The Japanese made suicide a matter of duty for the grunts which was a whole different kettle of fish.

I read a fascinating little book one time which was essentially the diaries of Japanese soldiers picked up by American intelligence after various battles. The diarists were all dead of course...and usually by their own hand. They would write something like "we can see the enemy entering the far end of the valley. It is time to die." Then, in many cases, they would all kill themselves without bothering to fight first. The shame of capture was so deeply ingrained that many would not risk being disabled by shellfire before they could carry out "their duty" to the emperor.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse! I wish I could remember the name of that book. I'd love to read it again. It was one of the most depressing things I ever read.
(November 13, 2013 at 2:50 am)wallym Wrote: I've always been confused why "My body, my choice" doesn't include suicide.

You may have to look to religion and it's desire to have an increased population of believers as to the why of it all wallym.... also the whole slavery attitude that religion instils in it's adherents.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3084 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? Astonished 67 9065 July 20, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3656 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
  Anyone see gods not dead? Thegoodatheist 76 29477 March 13, 2021 at 11:07 am
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2077 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Anyone here a Category 7? Jehanne 159 13610 October 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3106 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Pro-Life Atheists KristinNirvana 84 13841 July 25, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: LadyAmaltheaMoon
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4140 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity