Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED
Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED
The following opinion is a continuing battle against the "never" tactic the well intended left has with certain words. Now it appears "Redneck" is a slur. Yes, it can be used as a slur, but lots of rednecks use it as a term of endearment. I saw on the news today a kid got scolded by his school for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt and the use of the word "redneck".

Dumb Dynasty, my op/ed on the importance of CONTEXT of words. So a kid gets scolded for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt at school. The offense wasn't that like all reality shows it is mind rot when kids should be learning math and science. No, what offended the school was the word "Redneck".

"Gay" is originally a french word meaning "happy", it went on to become a slur, but there are still tons of gay people who call themselves gay and have the word "gay" in their advocacy organization names. Any rap artist can tell you the difference between when a bigot calls a black person "nigger" and when they use it to describe buddies and loved ones.

Atheists get equated to Stalin and Po Pot and by virtue of not believing cannot have morals according to bigoted believers. "Atheos" the original Greek word merely meant "without god", and was not a moral judgment of the person labeled "atheos'. But theism since has demonized the word. Yet as an atheist I KNOW HOW to make the distinction between when a bigoted theist views it, and when my fellow atheist uses it. And I also joke with fellow atheists that we are "godless heathens".

Same can be said with the word "Jew". "Juden" is German for "Jew" and during WW2 Hitler and the Nazis used "Jew" to demonize Jewish people and justified a holocaust with that slur. But Mel Brooks used "Jew" his comedies and South Park certainly used it to poke fun of bigotry.

Same with the Washington Redskins name. The word "redskin" was invented by natives long before their oppression and did not start out as a slur. When the Boston Braves moved to Washington and changed the name to Redskins, the name was not used as slur to describe the team, anymore than I insult myself by calling myself an atheist or gays call themselves gays.

I think some well intended people do not understand that others KNOW WHAT CONTEXT IS and the difference between a slur and a term of endearment.

ALL WORDS have more than one meaning and can be used in different contexts to mean different things.
RE: Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED
This is why I understand the problems people have with political correctness. I mean real political correctness like you pointed out in your post, and not the straw man political correctness like when Christians claim that crosses have to be taken down from private property because someone might be offended.

Words can be used to hurt, but the meanings behind those words can and do change over time. Go back 50 years or more and I doubt you'd hear any black people referring to each other as niggers, but now it seems a staple of rap music.

One of the funniest ideas was when feminists decided they were going to try to take back the word "cunt" and make it into a beautiful word to describe female genitalia. Unfortunately I don't think they'll succeed in the near future because of the negative connotation that word has. It just wouldn't be the same to refer to a mean and nasty woman as a "snatch." Who knows what people will think of that word 50 or 100 years in the future, though.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Words only have the impact you give them, they are NOT MAGIC.

I once got into a debate with a Jew on another atheist website when they insisted we not spell out "Yahweh". How polite can you be in pointing out to them, that is their bag, not ours? We were not trying to offend them by spelling it out, but merely doing our own thing because we don't see the word as magic.

I often request when I sneeze that people don't say "bless you" to me. I don't like the superstitious history behind it, even if now it is seen as being polite. But I don't go ape shit if I hear it said to others.

What I don't do is insist it never be said to others in my earshot. And I certainly don't get offended when my believing friends say "bless you" as a jab knowing I prefer they don't say it to me.
Jesusfuckingchrist....American kids habitually score like shit compared to students in Europe and industrialized Asia and THIS is what the schools worry about?

Incredible.
(November 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Jesusfuckingchrist....American kids habitually score like shit compared to students in Europe and industrialized Asia and THIS is what the schools worry about?

Incredible.

Like I said, they were more worried about the use of the word "Redneck" than the fact that this kid was a fan of mind rot, on par with the Kardashians and The Real World.
(November 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Jesusfuckingchrist....American kids habitually score like shit compared to students in Europe and industrialized Asia and THIS is what the schools worry about?

Incredible.

Yes, unfortunately this is what our schools have become. I blame the school administrators for being such idiots. Like when they told that deaf kid to sign his name a different way because sign language for the name "Hunter" kind of looked like pointing your finger like you're shooting a gun. Or suspending a kindergartener for taking a plastic toy water gun to school.

You know what they say, "If you can, do. If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach, be a principal."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
@Brian37

Thank fuck I'm not the only one!

Banning a word only gives it more power to offend
Apparently Jeff Foxworthy is regularly insulting his legion of fans.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 455 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1266 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1526 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Think I'm Getting Ready to Do Something Dumb (and Expensive) Rhondazvous 21 1978 March 29, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Animals that are just plain dumb BrokenQuill92 20 1291 January 19, 2017 at 9:47 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Dumb Fucks Minimalist 2 608 July 14, 2015 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Dumb and Dumber To Napoléon 8 1103 June 11, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Seriously, how is anyone dumb enough to be fat? Aractus 161 27050 April 3, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: ShaMan