Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause?
What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause?
I think it's a good intellectual exercise to remember that one's own worldviews are not impregnable and to investigate what weaknesses are present. And I say 'worldviews' because I don't think there is exactly a case where a person has a singular, totally cohesive worldview (i.e there's tensions, perhaps contradictions in the positions one holds to).

Anyhow, what opposing arguments to your worldviews to you find give you pause? For me personally, I think the Cosmic Consciousness Arguments give me the most pause as of late. They seem to give good evidence from quantum mechanics for some kind of immaterialism, which to my eyes resembles the philosopher Berkeley's immaterialism. Namely, it seems to indicate that there needs to be some consciousness that's observing everything at once. I could very much understand why one might call this a god. And this is particularly problematic for me, since I'm both a physicalist and an atheist.

Maybe some of you don't think there is a opposing argument that troubles you, at least to your atheism. I'm not quite there, I guess. *shrugs*
RE: What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause?
I wouldn't say I find it troubling, but there are some very good arguments for a fine-tuned universe. I haven't looked into cosmic consciousness arguments, I'll check them out when I get a chance. I always enjoy discovering good arguments against my opinions.
I don't mean troubling as in distressing or something, but as being seemingly at odds with your positions. Smile
I sometimes feel uncomfortable with Obamacare- but I know why. It was hamstrung from the start, it has suffered from ineptitude on the back end, and general classism has plagued it. I support state-sponsored healthcare, and I thought I would do that without any reservations, but there is an unquiet seed in me that wonders if this was a fucked effort.

But I'm way left of Obama and everyone except my parents, so there's that. But the problems have been a real challenge to my worldview- not that socialized medicine is bad, because many countries have shown us it can work, but that it can work here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1060 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 979 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2775 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 28818 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4445 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42417 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Give what you get? *Deidre* 44 8328 July 21, 2017 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2084 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2884 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hatred: Too good to give up? Ashground 23 4900 June 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: popsthebuilder