Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give what you get?
Give what you get?
I have a friend who tends to believe in the "give what she gets" mantra. If someone hurts her, she doesn't retaliate, but she will either dump him/her as a friend or she will simply not go out of her way the next time. If people are kind to her, she is kind in return. She doesn't intiate the kindness, she waits to see how someone will treat her, then she acts, accordingly. I guess it can prevent doormat syndrome. What do you think of the idea of "giving what you get?"
RE: Give what you get?
It can probably work in some situations, but I really hate having a hard rule like this to live by. Life isn't ever this simple and exceptions always show up.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Basic human reciprocity.  It's workable, and it does work, at least up to a point.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It reminds me of Stephen King's Rose Red television miniseries.

There's a powerful young girl who never speaks, and her sister informs everyone that the young girl retaliates to hate with hate and to love with love.

Personally, I believe we should all be more like that.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
That seems like a pretty shallow, superficial and stunted way to go thru life. Smells of passive aggressive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 18, 2017 at 4:07 pm)Jesster Wrote: It can probably work in some situations, but I really hate having a hard rule like this to live by. Life isn't ever this simple and exceptions always show up.

What do you think the exception(s) would be? I guess you can't always give what you get in a career situation lol And she is very philanthropic actually, her "rule" applies to mainly social interactions with friends and her family. I find it curious because I think it makes sense in some ways as to not be taken advantage of which happens to me more than I would like, in my friendships.
(July 18, 2017 at 4:15 pm)*Deidre* Wrote: What do you think the exception(s) would be? I guess you can't always give what you get in a career situation lol And she is very philanthropic actually, her "rule" applies to mainly social interactions with friends and her family. I find it curious because I think it makes sense in some ways as to not be taken advantage of which happens to me more than I would like, in my friendships.

I think it should also be applied to the job situation. It would certainly teach rude customers to stop being so goddamn rude.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 18, 2017 at 4:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: That seems like a pretty shallow, superficial and stunted way to go thru life. Smells of passive aggressive.

So how do you react when someone belittles you or betrays you, in some way? I don't believe in revenge but do you remain friends with people who don't treat you well?
(July 18, 2017 at 4:15 pm)*Deidre* Wrote:
(July 18, 2017 at 4:07 pm)Jesster Wrote: It can probably work in some situations, but I really hate having a hard rule like this to live by. Life isn't ever this simple and exceptions always show up.

What do you think the exception(s) would be? I guess you can't always give what you get in a career situation lol And she is very philanthropic actually, her "rule" applies to mainly social interactions with friends and her family. I find it curious because I think it makes sense in some ways as to not be taken advantage of which happens to me more than I would like, in my friendships.

Well there is one big, obvious flaw I see in it right away. If everyone lived by this method, nobody would ever initiate kindness. Sometimes you have to be the one to smile first or you may find yourself never doing so.

I've also put up some walls so I'm never taken advantage of again, but I didn't build them so high that nobody could ever get through.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Yeah, probably better than just being nice to others, and hoping they'll be nice in return. That would get you taken advantage of.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6687 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1054 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4429 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12119 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hatred: Too good to give up? Ashground 23 4898 June 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1106 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality Lemonvariable72 29 9787 September 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Morality: Where do you get yours? Creed of Heresy 104 41690 May 28, 2012 at 11:22 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko