Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer does not work
Prayer does not work
This is an older article, but what it states still holds true.

Quote:Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study also found that more patients in the uninformed prayer group — 18 percent — suffered major complications, like heart attack or stroke, compared with 13 percent in the group that did not receive prayers. In their report, the researchers suggested that this finding might also be a result of chance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health...d=all&_r=0
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Prayer does not work
(November 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: This is an older article, but what it states still holds true.

Quote:Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study also found that more patients in the uninformed prayer group — 18 percent — suffered major complications, like heart attack or stroke, compared with 13 percent in the group that did not receive prayers. In their report, the researchers suggested that this finding might also be a result of chance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health...d=all&_r=0

When I was a student, working at a hospital to make ends meet, there was a really bad accident in which a teenage boy was seriously injured.

He was brought in in critical condition and around 14 doctors and nurses worked on him for nearly 6 hours to stabilise him.

I was nearby when his parents were interviewed by the local news station and they thanks god for their son's life, and said that their prayers had been answered.

Not a mention of the highly trained and dedicated staff who had spent so long stabilising him and saving his life. I still see him occasionally, coming in for therapy.

I guess god only heals people a certain amount. . . .
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm)Beccs Wrote: I guess god only heals people a certain amount. . . .

On the seventh hour, he rested. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Actually, prayer DOES work - it's exactly as effective as hoping.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It works about as well as doing nothing at all. To paraphrase George Carlin, about 50:50.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm)Beccs Wrote: I guess god only heals people a certain amount. . . .

On the seventh hour, he rested. Dodgy

And all the years since, apparently.

Thinking
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Actually, prayer DOES work - it's exactly as effective as hoping.

Boru

Yes, yes. It works. That is to say, X person transfers force onto X's left hand (Y) towards X's right hand (Z). Meanwhile, X is transferring force onto Z towards Y. Y moves 40 centimeters towards Z, and Z moves 40 centimeters towards Y. If X used 10 newtons of force to move each Y and Z, X therefore produced 8 joules of work.

Prayer works!
I've prayed for two weeks that this thread would not be created Wink Shades
Geee... Why am I not surprised?
Old joke in medical research.
Patient. "will this drug work"
Dr. "depends. Define" will" and "work."

I prayed this morning that I'd feel better about some stuff at work. Do you know what? I felt better about that stuff afterward. Thus, by most definitions, prayer worked.

I'm now going to pray for scarlett johansson to appear in my office and do a lapdance for me.

Nope, nothing. So by any definition, prayer didn't work.

In example A there was an outcome which was directly attributable to the prayer, and is as repeatable as most things we take as standard "work". So from that point of view prayer works. In some circumstances and for some things. Like my phone works, in some circumstances (battery and signal) for some things (making calls). Does my phone work as a light saber? Tragically not. Doesn't mean it doesn't work.

So for me a statement like "prayer does not work" is too broad. It didn't work, then, for that, as advertised. But it's not strictly true to say it Doesn't work. It depends what you expect from it.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5426 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7628 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9662 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1046 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5697 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6085 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2236 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Nice Work, Shitheads Minimalist 7 1382 September 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63158 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Prayer Athena777 181 16411 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee