Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it too early or late to judge the enlightenment?
Has modern society benefitted from the enlightenment? If so, in what ways has it benefitted?
RE: Is it too early or late to judge the enlightenment?
Already flooding the forum with idiocy...nice of you to share with others.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 24, 2013 at 11:25 am)I and I Wrote: Has modern society benefitted from the enlightenment? If so, in what ways has it benefitted?

Science. [Image: coffeedrinker.gif]
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(November 24, 2013 at 11:25 am)I and I Wrote: Has modern society benefitted from the enlightenment? If so, in what ways has it benefitted?
Isn't modern society a product of this enlightenment?

Had it not been for the enlightenment, we'd still be in... the middle ages... but we wouldn't call them that.. we'd call them something else.
(November 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
Isn't modern society a product of this enlightenment?

Had it not been for the enlightenment, we'd still be in... the middle ages... but we wouldn't call them that.. we'd call them something else.

I am referring to philosophy or ways of thinking about ourselves. Have the ideas of the enlightenment made mankind better at explaining who we are as Individuals?
sure!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DA2MKuI6fs
(November 24, 2013 at 11:56 am)Chas Wrote:

Science. [Image: coffeedrinker.gif]

Also democracy and tolerance.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
(November 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm)I and I Wrote: I am referring to philosophy or ways of thinking about ourselves. Have the ideas of the enlightenment made mankind better at explaining who we are as Individuals?

The answer is subjective. What one man deems enlightenment, another deems as folly. This conversation is a circle jerk from the word go.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(November 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm)Cinjin Wrote:
(November 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm)I and I Wrote: I am referring to philosophy or ways of thinking about ourselves. Have the ideas of the enlightenment made mankind better at explaining who we are as Individuals?

The answer is subjective. What one man deems enlightenment, another deems as folly. This conversation is a circle jerk from the word go.

The word and it's connotations have been used by many historians. The manner in which it is commonly used is what I am referring to. Has our ways if thinking about ourselves made us better human beings?
(November 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

While it is true that "enlightenment" by itself is a subjective term, when it is used with a definite article THE enlightenment, it is understood to mean the social and philosophical ideas put forward by the leading thinkers of the 18th century along with the late 17th century: people like Locke, Voltaire, Hume. etc.

IMO the Enlightenment did more to civilize humanity than all the preceding eras, and it even made the Christian god a nicer deity than he had formerly been.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4490 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Best response to "You are being too bookish and nerdy!"? FlatAssembler 25 3171 April 5, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Enlightenment. Heat 1 436 April 20, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Never judge a philosophy by its abuse Rhondazvous 65 23233 October 4, 2015 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hatred: Too good to give up? Ashground 23 4898 June 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  The burden of wisdom/enlightenment, being good is too hard! Mystic 24 7683 May 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  life is too short for me ! Memz 63 20907 April 26, 2012 at 3:36 am
Last Post: simplexity