Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone into skiing?
Anyone into skiing?
Trying to book a holiday, first time skiier, I wanna have a good time (though the booking process is making me tear my hair out), anyone into skiing?

Seriously, been at this 2 hours, cant find a place that's decent for beginner adults (so not overrun with/designed for kids) and where we can also try some snowboarding in Austria or Switzerland. All the websites advice "oh this place is fantastic for beginners, all the celebrities go here..." FFS, so its 5x the price then?
Nemo me impune lacessit.
RE: Anyone into skiing?
If we have a decent winter, come to Finland. I have been skiing since I was four, and my favorite places are Tahko (great slopes for beginners), Ruka (near the polar circle, big ski center) and Pyhätunturi (because Lapland is magical during winter).
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yes, ME!

I'm going to Chamonix and Courmayeur this winter (January) for a week of skiing with my girlfriend!

I've been skiing for over a decade now, and I love it.

MY recommendation for beginner skiiers is Andorra (The Ibiza of the slopes). But really, and decent sky school in the Alps will do you well. Chose somewhere with decent blue and red runs. Indeed Chamonix isn't too bad for beginners (although it is more catered to inters), if a bit expensive. Andorra isn't expensive at all, and it's where I learned to ski.

What part of the world are you from? I'd check out the usual ski tour operators in the UK (if you can) for decent deals, but really, skiing and boarding are pretty expensive now a days regardless of where you go.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 29, 2013 at 8:51 am)Kayenneh Wrote: If we have a decent winter, come to Finland. I have been skiing since I was four, and my favorite places are Tahko (great slopes for beginners), Ruka (near the polar circle, big ski center) and Pyhätunturi (because Lapland is magical during winter).

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Tongue

I haven't put on skis in ten years, so I have no advice, except, "do it!"

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I've been to Jay Peak in Vermont and Axamer Lizum in Austria, and both had some awesome instructors. Not sure how much that would be price wise as I went with my school both times, but it wasn't cheap. Generally from my experience most places have all the different kinds of slopes and it doesn't take too long to start hitting the harder runs. It took me about 2 days skiing at Jay Peak before attempting some of the black diamonds, I'd suggest finding somewhere local and practice a bit first before just going on your holiday though. It will be worth it and make your time on holiday more enjoyable.

I went to this place quite a bit: http://www.snowdome.co.uk/

Not sure if you have anywhere like it near you, but I'd say it's worth looking for something similar, I've even heard you can get dry ski slopes in some places.
I used to ski every summer, among other things, when we went to our lake cabin. Not so much anymore, though. I have gone tubing recently, and it left me quite sore.

I've never been snow skiing.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone into combat sports? EgoDeath 24 2170 March 17, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Showboating before you get into endzone. Brian37 20 2007 September 11, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Best Methods For Whipping My Negroes Into Shape? The Atheist 2 1271 March 30, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  What sports are people into? Hughsie 64 15905 December 19, 2013 at 7:45 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko