Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are atheists disrespectful?
I do not want to be provocative or subjective by introducing this idea.
Some argue that they are not and I totally agree that some atheists are respectful, conservative, and contribute to our society. But then, I scroll through the internet finding disrespectful images, blogs, and videos that bash on Christians.
Why do disrespectful atheists ask for respect when they don't give it back?
Do you guys all remember the golden rule?
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
The golden rule isn't even religious based. It's just a culture-based morality that follows the guidelines of many (if not all) religions.
It makes me upset and flustered when atheists complain about not getting respect when in reality, they don't return it.....
Anyways, just my thoughts.
Feel free to talk about your ideas; I'm interested in hearing some concepts. Smile
Have a good one!
RE: Why are atheists disrespectful?
Speaking only for myself it is because I am tired of you sanctimonious twats trying to tell everyone how to live according to the imagined rules of your fictional god.

Got it?
(December 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm)pockystix Wrote: I do not want to be provocative or subjective by introducing this idea.
Some argue that they are not and I totally agree that some atheists are respectful, conservative, and contribute to our society. But then, I scroll through the internet finding disrespectful images, blogs, and videos that bash on Christians.
The golden rule isn't even religious based. It's just a culture-based morality that follows the guidelines of many (if not all) religions.
It makes me upset and flustered when atheists complain about not getting respect when in reality, they don't return it.....
Feel free to talk about your ideas; I'm interested in hearing some concepts. Smile
Have a good one!

Personally I think the golden rule is bullshit. Everybody says that it's good, but nobody actually acts that way. If Christians really loved the golden rule how come Atheists can't run for office in heavily religious states?

Christianity has a 2000 year history of persecuting and killing those who disagree with even small differences of their doctrine. Atheists make fun of you on the internet with silly pictures and stuff. I would say the Christians who can't take that 'persecution' are the ones being immature, not the other way around.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Some people get really upset with religion, and lash out at it. Of course, this is pretty typical of any group that the more emotional of us don't like.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

To paraphrase Madeline O'Hare, for the last 1600 years Christians have tortured and killed anyone who disagreed with them.

And now you're all upset because we make fun of you and your silly beliefs.

Deal with it.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(December 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm)pockystix Wrote: I do not want to be provocative or subjective by introducing this idea.
Have a good one!

Some posts by atheists to religious people on here are pretty disgusting, but I've experienced similar stuff on Islamic forums directed towards me so I know how it feels and tend not to act that way towards muslims or christians.
The few times I have insulted religious people on here off the top of my head its been because of slanderous comments, or basically because they insulted me first.
I've probably insulted more atheists on here because of their insulting attitude towards me. I'm pretty laid back really so I can't think of a time when I've started the insults.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I have a standing rule with religious people: you don't preach to me and I won't mock your religion. Usually, it works out pretty well. I mean, I spent Thanksgiving with my in-laws who are religious fundamentalists, and since they didn't preach to me at all, there wasn't any conflict; and that's saying something, because Mormonism is REALLY easy to make fun of.

But once in a while, people feel the need to tell me about Jesus, at which point, deal's off and I get to tell them how full of shit their holy book really is. Most of them haven't even read the not-so-nice verses in the Bible like 2Kings 2:23-24 (kids make fun of a bald guy and god rips them apart with bears).

And I think that's only fair. I mean, Christians haven't exactly been friendly towards atheists, have they? They mock me, I'm going to mock them.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Hey Pocky and welcome to AF.

(December 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm)pockystix Wrote: I do not want to be provocative or subjective by introducing this idea. Why are atheists disrespectful?

Two thing to start with, this is like using 'no offence' and wonder why people anyways lash out at something provocative. And to say that all atheists are disrespectful is a lousy generalisation.

Quote:But then, I scroll through the internet finding disrespectful images, blogs, and videos that bash on Christians.

As opposed to the images, blogs and videos bashing atheists, made by religious people?

Quote:Why do disrespectful atheists ask for respect when they don't give it back?

I'm only one person, but I don't ask for respect (other than the innate one everyone should get for being a human), I earn it.

Quote:Do you guys all remember the golden rule?

Funny you should ask, when so many christians can't follow it themselves.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Again, I'm very annoyed at the state our society is in where everyone cares more about HOW someone says something instead of what someone DOES.
You believe in a religion that says we're all going to burn in hell.
You (maybe not you, but your religion) try to keep evolution out of science classes purely because it makes you uncomfortable.
You teach your kids (who as babies are atheists) about hell.
You lie to billions of people about a religion and profit from it.
The catholic church has so many scandals and so many cases and coverups of child abuse.
You don't want gays to get married.
You don't allow women to have abortions.

I really could go on.

I'm sorry if I've been rude to you on the internet. How disrespectful of me.

ETA: when I say you I mean your religion's role in the public sphere. Not you specifically, so really, no offence.

Thread is closed pending moderator decision on outstanding reports related to the thread.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7060 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2104 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1035 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1997 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8176 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15498 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11952 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 10941 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6196 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie