Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go
Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go
"There was, they say, here on earth a thinker and philosopher. He rejected everything, 'laws, conscience, faith,' and, above all, the future life. He died; he expected to go straight to darkness and death and he found a future life before him. He was astounded and indignant. 'This is against my principles!' he said. And he was punished for that... that is, you must excuse me, I am just repeating what I heard myself, it's only a legend... he was sentenced to walk a quadrillion kilometres in the dark (we've adopted the metric system, you know): and when he has finished that quadrillion, the gates of heaven would be opened to him and he'll be
forgiven-"
"And what tortures have you in the other world besides the quadrillion kilometres?" asked Ivan, with a strange eagerness.
"What tortures? Ah, don't ask. In old days we had all sorts, but now they have taken chiefly to moral punishments- 'the stings of conscience' and all that nonsense. We got that, too, from you, from the softening of your manners. And who's the better for it? Only those who have got no conscience, for how can they be tortured by conscience when they have none? But decent people who have conscience and a sense of honour suffer for it. Reforms, when the ground has not been prepared for them, especially if they are institutions copied from abroad, do nothing but mischief! The ancient fire was better. Well, this man, who was condemned to the quadrillion kilometres, stood still, looked round and lay down across the road. 'I won't go, I refuse on principle!' Take the soul of an enlightened Russian atheist and mix it with the soul of the prophet Jonah, who sulked for three days and nights in the belly of the whale, and you get the character of that thinker who lay across the road."
"What did he lie on there?"
"Well, I suppose there was something to lie on. You are not laughing?"
"Bravo!" cried Ivan, still with the same strange eagerness. Now he was listening with an unexpected curiosity. "Well, is he lying there now?"
"That's the point, that he isn't. He lay there almost a thousand years and then he got up and went on."
"What an ass!" cried Ivan, laughing nervously and still seeming to be pondering something intently. "Does it make any difference whether he lies there for ever or walks the quadrillion kilometres? It would take a billion years to walk it?"
"Much more than that. I haven't got a pencil and paper or I could work it out. But he got there long ago, and that's where the story begins."
"What, he got there? But how did he get the billion years to do it?"
"Why, you keep thinking of our present earth! But our present earth may have been repeated a billion times. Why, it's become extinct, been frozen; cracked, broken to bits, disintegrated into its elements, again 'the water above the firmament,' then again a comet, again a sun, again from the sun it becomes earth- and the same sequence may have been repeated endlessly and exactly the same to every detail, most unseemly and insufferably tedious-"
"Well, well, what happened when he arrived?"
"Why, the moment the gates of Paradise were open and he walked in;
before he had been there two seconds, by his watch (though to my
thinking his watch must have long dissolved into its elements on the way), he cried out that those two seconds were worth walking not a
quadrillion kilometres but a quadrillion of quadrillions, raised to
the quadrillionth power! In fact, he sang 'hosannah'."
The Brothers Karamazov by Fedor Dostoevsky
RE: Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go
Your point?
Fyodor Dostoevsky?

He's someone whose narrative technique I want to study. Have you read Crime & Punishment?
(December 3, 2013 at 3:15 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Your point?

Do you think the works of Dostoesvky have some point?

(December 3, 2013 at 3:16 am)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Fyodor Dostoevsky?

He's someone whose narrative technique I want to study. Have you read Crime & Punishment?

Of course I have read it, moreover in Russian.

(December 3, 2013 at 3:42 am)DOS Wrote:

Of course I have read it, moreover in Russian.
It figures vinny is into something this idoitic as this.if there is no point why post it
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

tl;dr
(December 3, 2013 at 5:53 am)victor4128 Wrote: It figures vinny is into something this idoitic as this.if there is no point why post it

Let alone post it three times. Spambot gone amuck? Alzheimer's patient turned poster? Cryptic, very cryptic.

Does this mean all atheists are men or that some women can also go standing up?
DOS is reaching into his pocket and grabbing something...
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 3, 2013 at 3:42 am)DOS Wrote:

No, I don't. If you'd care to tell me, in plain English, what the point is, I'm more than willing to hear it.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
That avatar is a gay mag pic if I ever saw one. Turn the page and the pants are off. Beefcake!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7037 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Where do you stand on the existence of God? Catholic_Lady 276 40796 December 15, 2015 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Reflex
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7104 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Unfortunately the Christian will have to kill themselves to prove their faith EgoRaptor 28 7345 December 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
Bug Unfortunately the atheists will have to kill themselves to prove the point DOS 91 20495 December 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Unfortunately the atheist will have to stand up and go DOS 2 1064 December 3, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  If you were going to take a stand against religion outside a church... Loki_999 16 4949 April 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Loki_999
  Where do I stand? Amphora 23 6945 November 28, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Amphora