Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nutty Christian stories
Nutty Christian stories
I am really fascinated by what goes on in religious communities, especially in the US. We don't really have anything like that in the UK, or at least not that I have experienced. I'd say most people (especially younger ones) aren't religious, and almost all* those that are keep it to themselves to such an extent you'd probably not realise.

However I've watched/read a few things about intolerance towards non-believers. It sounds like hell, but maybe this is only the exception rather than the rule?

Has anyone got any interesting and/or amusing stories about how religion intrudes into their daily lives?

Even say the idea of two people talking about Jesus at work is extreme to me!

*Minus very rare nutcase, but that's maybe once every few years.
RE: Nutty Christian stories
Just the usual ones regarding my ex-colleague who insisted that humans used to be like 20 metres tall and that Cat Stevens conversion to Islam was somehow proof that Islam is really great.
Oh and the boss used to blurt out random jesus shit in the middle of the workplace for no real reason. Once two colleagues were arguing and her solution was "remember what Jesus taught us". Not sure which element of Jesus' muddled teachings she was referring to.
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly
Back when I used to work as a police dispatcher I worked with a guy who was so Christian that he earned the nickname "Deacon Dave." He didn't work out as a dispatcher but got on as a guard at the juvenile detention center where my wife's cousin works. She told me that he kept trying to preach to a kid who had threatened to kill his parents. He kept asking "Why can't we share the gospel with these kids, after all that's what they need?" He was told time and time again that they just couldn't, mainly because it's a government-run agency and the First Amendment prohibits it.

I guess he's seen one too many Christian movies or TV shows like "Touched By an Angel" where the bad person finally accepts Jesus as their personal savior and becomes good for the rest of their life. It rarely if ever works out that way in real life. I'm guessing those kids in juvenile detention would have just laughed at him.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
My only encounter with a hardcore Christian was at work. He believed all sorts of conspiracy theories and was very vocal about them.

He did actually use the Ray Comfort banana argument on me. It came on a printed card that he gave out (maybe a JW) that he obviously had been handing out to people. When I debunked it he said it wasn't a very good argument to use (so why use it?).

After the usual 911 bollocks, aliens are demons, pope is satan etc etc , he also told me about water powered cars. I explained why they couldn't possibly exist and his response was that the oil companies had distorted my degree course so I wouldn't believe water powered cars could exist.

He was finally sacked recently, mostly due to his crazy beliefs influencing his work. I think it was him that sparked my interest in people with irrational beliefs. I'll probably never come across anyone that crazy every again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 505 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89408 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Saints With The Best Stories BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1807 November 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13362 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Problem with Animated Bible Stories Fidel_Castronaut 6 2103 March 4, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Oh NOES! Talking Animals In Fantasy Stories Nope 13 2880 February 27, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Top Ten Persecution Stories of 2014 Foxaèr 7 2894 January 11, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Fairy Tales, Bible Stories, and AWANA Raevoryx 7 2277 August 18, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7439 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  If Jesus was just a man, why all the stories? 1tasolo 38 9113 January 31, 2014 at 8:43 am
Last Post: catman