Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life
Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life
I know that some claims about pagan influences on Christianity are overblown or discredited, but is there any truth to the claim that the virgin birth, the death, and resurrection of Jesus (and possibly some other elements) took inspiration from pagan religions or mystery religions?

This matter is of strictly academic interest to me.
RE: Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life
Studies in religious history shows that Christianity is first and foremost the last in the Judeo-Christian line.

Meaning that Christianity is the newest monotheistic god religion today.

Before monotheism became popular with society, there were around sixteen cultures that believed in the same characteristics in a god figure that Christianity describes in Jesus.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 21, 2016 at 2:09 am)Kitan Wrote: Studies in religious history shows that Christianity is first and foremost the last in the Judeo-Christian line.

Meaning that Christianity is the newest monotheistic god religion today.

Before monotheism became popular with society, there were around sixteen cultures that believed in the same characteristics in a god figure that Christianity describes in Jesus.

Islam is both monotheistic (and in a stricter more literal sense of affirming God's oneness) and newer than the Jesus-centered religious movements that gave rise to the various Christianities we have today.

When you say that about sixteen cultures "believed in the same characteristics in a god figure that Christianity describes in Jesus," are you specifically referring to virgin births, resurrections, and the like?  Do you have any links?
(March 21, 2016 at 2:31 am)Panatheist Wrote: Islam is both monotheistic (and in a stricter more literal sense of affirming God's oneness) and newer than the various Christianities.

When you say about sixteen cultures "believed in the same characteristics in a god figure that Christianity describes in Jesus," are you specifically referring to virgin births, resurrections, and the like?  Do you have any links?

Sorry, I was not thinking properly. You are correct, Christianity is the middle child with the Judeo-Christian family. Islam is the newest, and will most likely be the most problematic even though that role is usually reserved for the oldest.

And in accordance with your second reference, I do have links.

And okay, I got the number wrong. I'm only human.

Sixteen is not correct.

Ten it is.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonabl...ate-jesus/
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 21, 2016 at 2:02 am)Panatheist Wrote: I know that some claims about pagan influences on Christianity are overblown or discredited, but is there any truth to the claim that the virgin birth, the death, and resurrection of Jesus (and possibly some other elements) took inspiration from pagan religions or mystery religions?

Nope
(March 21, 2016 at 2:40 am)Kitan Wrote:
(March 21, 2016 at 2:31 am)Panatheist Wrote: Islam is both monotheistic (and in a stricter more literal sense of affirming God's oneness) and newer than the various Christianities.

When you say about sixteen cultures "believed in the same characteristics in a god figure that Christianity describes in Jesus," are you specifically referring to virgin births, resurrections, and the like?  Do you have any links?

Sorry, I was not thinking properly.  You are correct, Christianity is the middle child with the Judeo-Christian family.  Islam is the newest, and will most likely be the most problematic even though that role is usually reserved for the oldest.

And in accordance with your second reference, I do have links.

And okay, I got the number wrong.  I'm only human.

Sixteen is not correct.

Ten it is.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonabl...ate-jesus/
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

That is not a very good source.  Right off the bat from the first two entites mentioned: Jesus would have lived very very far away from where Buddhism and Hinduism originated, and there are often exaggerations and errors in the purported similarities between Buddha, Krishna, and Jesus.  I was thinking of perhaps mystery religions or other cults closer to where the early Jesus movements would have originated.
(March 21, 2016 at 4:13 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(March 21, 2016 at 2:02 am)Panatheist Wrote: I know that some claims about pagan influences on Christianity are overblown or discredited, but is there any truth to the claim that the virgin birth, the death, and resurrection of Jesus (and possibly some other elements) took inspiration from pagan religions or mystery religions?

Nope

That's what I'm thinking, too.  For some reason a book I'm reading with otherwise good information suggests that the story of Jesus was influenced by Mediterranean religions as to the virgin birth, etc.  I can give more weight to the claim that Christianity does at least have hellenic influences, but I don't know that such is responsible for Jesus' birth and resurrection stories.
(March 21, 2016 at 4:13 am)Huggy74 Wrote:

Nope

How does one go about demonstrating that there was "no inspiration" from pagan religions in Christianity?

I'm genuinely curious as to how you support your claim that there is 'no truth' to claims of syncretism?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(March 21, 2016 at 4:13 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Nope

How does one go about demonstrating that there was "no inspiration" from pagan religions in Christianity?

I'm genuinely curious as to how you support your claim that there is 'no truth' to claims of syncretism?

I don't say there is no truth to it.  I'm still looking for information on it I can trust.  But not everything out there on this subject is even accurate. Having not found anything better I'm inclined to agree with above post's "nope" unless until I come across something, but I made no claim. And I wouldn't say no elements were borrowed from paganism at all. That would be ignorant. I'm referring specifically to the idea that most miraculous events in Jesus' life were copied from pagan gods.
christmas or i should say winter solstice is a pagan holiday and has nothing to do with some
guy named jesus. christianity is a compilition of stolen mythologies and rituals just saying.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 21, 2016 at 12:13 pm)Panatheist Wrote:
(March 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: How does one go about demonstrating that there was "no inspiration" from pagan religions in Christianity?

I don't say there is no truth to it.  I'm still looking for information on it I can trust.  But not everything out there on this subject is even accurate.  Having not found anything better I'm inclined to agree with above post's "nope" unless until I come across something, but I made no claim.  And I wouldn't say no elements were borrowed from paganism at all.  That would be ignorant.  I'm referring specifically to the idea that most miraculous events in Jesus' life were copied from pagan gods.

I think that would be expecting too much of syncretism without harming the core claim, that Christianity borrowed from pagan beliefs.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 493 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Saints With The Best Stories BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1784 November 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1444 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10615 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22148 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14524 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5103 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6677 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6272 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8229 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist