Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Atheism Symbol
The Atheism Symbol
I, personally, dislike the atheism symbol which includes an electron cloud around an "A". I feel like it enforces the stereotype that all atheists are freethinking, educated, smart people. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth: there are free thinking atheists, goddamn ignorant atheists, smart atheists, really stupid atheists, free thinking theists, horribly ignorant theists, outstandingly smart theists, and downright idiotic theists. Because in other words, atheists and theists are people, not a "way of life" that automatically makes you smart or stupid.

Just some thoughts.
RE: The Atheism Symbol
And the cross is somehow better? The man died on it, it was a torture device. Had he died in the electric chair, would theists be wearing tiny electric chair charms around their necks.

Grotesque.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: And the cross is somehow better? The man died on it, it was a torture device. Had he died in the electric chair, would theists be wearing tiny electric chair charms around their necks.

Grotesque.

See, here's a prime example of an obviously intelligent person being carted along by free thinkers who all happen to have the exact same thoughts about things, and occasionally are incorrect and do not know any better because of the aforementioned.

I am not a Christian.

Christian =/= Theist

You should not assume.

(December 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: And the cross is somehow better? The man died on it, it was a torture device. Had he died in the electric chair, would theists be wearing tiny electric chair charms around their necks.

Grotesque.

Also, I think that second sentence needs a question mark! Tongue

Ok, I'm not in the position to be a grammar Nazi, but ya.
(December 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote: I, personally, dislike the atheism symbol which includes an electron cloud around an "A". I feel like it enforces the stereotype that all atheists are freethinking, educated, smart people. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth: there are free thinking atheists, goddamn ignorant atheists, smart atheists, really stupid atheists, free thinking theists, horribly ignorant theists, outstandingly smart theists, and downright idiotic theists. Because in other words, atheists and theists are people, not a "way of life" that automatically makes you smart or stupid.

Just some thoughts.

We're unlikely to create individual symbols for everyone.

THe whole of Christianity falls under the symbol of the cross, the ignorant and the Ph.D's included.
Dying to live, living to die.
From a design point of view I don't mind the atomic A, left open ended deliberately to suggest a continuing search for knowledge. I do see the potential for confusion though and maybe it's responsible for the frequent accusations of arrogance we get. However, the symbol I prefer and the only one I actually wear is the metal red A badge seen in my avatar.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote: You should not assume.

I made no such assumption about you in particular.

My statement was a generalization of theists who do wear crosses.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm)Kitanetos Wrote:
(December 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote: You should not assume.

I made no such assumption about you in particular.

My statement was a generalization of theists who do wear crosses.

Noted.
I prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It highlights that I not only do not believe in God, but that I have a sense of humor about the subject as well.
'[Image: free-vector-flying-spaghetti-monster-cli..._hight.png]
(December 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm)Stimbo Wrote: From a design point of view I don't mind the atomic A, left open ended deliberately to suggest a continuing search for knowledge. I do see the potential for confusion though and maybe it's responsible for the frequent accusations of arrogance we get. However, the symbol I prefer and the only one I actually wear is the metal red A badge seen in my avatar.

I see the problem, there would be another bad connotation if all atheists started wearing big red "A"s with circles around them! ROFLOL

(December 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: I prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It highlights that I not only do not believe in God, but that I have a sense of humor about the subject as well.

I don't get the FSM. I tried to read the Gospel but then I was always thinking "DAFUQ?"
(December 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote: I don't get the FSM. I tried to read the Gospel but then I was always thinking "DAFUQ?"
You probably don't get it because you are a theist, and the parody is of your entire worldview.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27154 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12493 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?) ManMachine 32 10495 December 4, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12159 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  The Symbol of the Atheist Forums sven 8 1647 May 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12017 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38102 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Obama covers up religious symbol for speech moodydaniel 0 1606 April 17, 2009 at 5:14 am
Last Post: moodydaniel