Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 15th December 2017, 15:40

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?)
Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?)
I've seen a few symbols used to represent atheism (see below), in the same way a crucifix is generally used for Christianity, a star of David for Judaism, crescent moon and star for Islam , etc.

[Image: 047-religion-symbols-vector.png]

[Image: 670pxAtheism_symbol.svg.jpg%3Fwidth%3D50...ight%3D428]

[Image: Atheism-symbol.jpg]

[Image: Atheist_symbol.jpg]

There seems to be one for humanism (although I have no idea how generally accepted this is) but I do not consider myself a humanist.

I'm not in particular need of a symbol and I actually prefer not to have one, but I'm curious what other people think.

So there it is, the question as in the title, is there a generally accepted symbol for atheism and do we really need one?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?)
I think the first one is pretty known and generally accepted .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(28th November 2014, 05:01)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: I think the first one is pretty known and generally accepted .

That's interesting, I only saw that one for the first time today. When you say generally accepted, where have you seen it before?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
There's the AA symbol, which is similar, no?

Why did they put the hanukkah lights as the jewish symbol, is that correct?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(28th November 2014, 05:04)ManMachine Wrote:
(28th November 2014, 05:01)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: I think the first one is pretty known and generally accepted .

That's interesting, I only saw that one for the first time today. When you say generally accepted, where have you seen it before?

MM

Google atheism images, atheism FB page , I don't remember where else, but I saw it quite a few times .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
I don't think we need a defining symbol anymore than we need to advertise the fact we breathe oxygen. I also don't think it's a bad idea for those that choose to advertise that facet of their person; to each her own. I do have a t-shirt that I have no problem wearing in public that reads, "God's busy, may I help you?", containing a picture of the devil.

There are many things about me that cannot possibly be known without conversation. If the topic of religion comes up in conversation, people will understand soon enough and with no doubt that I am atheist.
The "symbol" for atheism is, rather appropriately, non-existent.....as far as all of those other symbols go, pretty sure there's a clear correlation between idiots and doodling.
Eat em up beat em up then switch sides.

I've no use for symbols, they only generate more urge to conformity.
There is no signature for this post.
(28th November 2014, 11:24)Parkers Tan Wrote: I've no use for symbols, they only generate more urge to conformity.

So you'd like the Carlin quote "Symbols are for the symbolminded" Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(28th November 2014, 08:59)Cato Wrote: I don't think we need a defining symbol anymore than we need to advertise the fact we breathe oxygen. I also don't think it's a bad idea for those that choose to advertise that facet of their person; to each her own. I do have a t-shirt that I have no problem wearing in public that reads, "God's busy, may I help you?", containing a picture of the devil.

There are many things about me that cannot possibly be known without conversation. If the topic of religion comes up in conversation, people will understand soon enough and with no doubt that I am atheist.

Has your rather fetching sounding T-Shirt ever sparked a conversation?

MM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 112 28th November 2017, 19:29
Last Post: Pandæmonium
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 12725 13th June 2017, 11:09
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 7393 15th May 2017, 09:05
Last Post: Whateverist
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 2099 1st April 2017, 02:17
Last Post: Tizheruk
  Does the World Need Religion? phoenix31 85 2372 7th February 2017, 16:12
Last Post: Khemikal
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 2987 19th May 2016, 23:03
Last Post: Khemikal
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 176055 11th April 2016, 08:38
Last Post: Little Rik
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 943 10th November 2015, 14:27
Last Post: KevinM1
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 2253 31st July 2015, 13:15
Last Post: Whateverist
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 6622 21st July 2015, 06:59
Last Post: KUSA