Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite biblical WTF moments
Your favorite biblical WTF moments
The bible is a long, challenging read but every once in a while you find these little gems you never saw coming. Post your favorite biblical WTF moment. Here's mine so far:

Quote:Ezekiel 4

12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.” 13 The Lord said, “In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them.”

14 Then I said, “Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth.”

15 “Very well,” he said, “I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement.”

IMO, this exemplifies the LORD's righteousness. See, any other god would have made him use the human feces but the LORD let's him use cow dung instead. Such a loving god....
RE: Your favorite biblical WTF moments
You can't beat a bit of bear mauling.

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria."

Those crazy bears!

11 If two men are fighting with each other—a man and his fellow Israelite—and the wife of one of them gets into the fight, trying to save her husband from his attacker and does so by reaching out and grabbing his genitals, 12 you must cut off her hand. Show no mercy.

I love this one. I can only think this must have happened often enough that they had to have a fixed rule for it.

"hey rabbi, Jacobs wife grabbed me by the family jewels while we were having a fight"

"what again?! This is Bullshit right here! If someone doesn't codify some sort of guideline for how we handle this sort of situation we're going to have a real problem! "
Then there was a bright light...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Old classic, the talking snake.

When I first started talking to Christians online I assumed no one took this literally. I was absolutely amazed to find people that said it really happened.

The zombie army as well in Mathew, that no one else seemed to notice.
You don't have to look very far. Just take Genesis, where it says the moon is a lesser source of light. Also some people believe that the firmament of the world was a solid dome. I always assumed the upper waters just meant the sky, until later in life when you have people explaining how a solid dome could have been there. Also ancient maps depicting the dome, with the sun moon and stars within it.

Also in various parts on the bible, starting with the cain and Able story, God loves the smell of flesh. Don't bother sacrificing anything unless you had to kill something for it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I reckon the biggest WTF moment is that bit from Genesis 1:1 to Revelations 22:21
I was wondering if someone was just going to say "the whole book!".
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

this isn't my favorite, but it made me laugh Tongue

Solomon 8:9-10
It goes down smoothly for my beloved, gliding over lips and teeth.
I am my beloved's, 10 and his desire is for me.

No, the context before and after this verse do nothing to make this mean anything less than what it is saying.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(December 8, 2013 at 5:14 pm)Optimistic Mysanthrope Wrote: I reckon the biggest WTF moment is that bit from Genesis 1:1 to Revelations 22:21

Agree, the part between the covers.

ROFLOL
Dying to live, living to die.
The part about the psychologically-crippled magical manchild who automatically has at least +1 superpowers to anything imaginable actually being capable of creating something other than an abstract painting made of its own feces.
(December 8, 2013 at 5:38 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: this isn't my favorite, but it made me laugh Tongue

Solomon 8:9-10
It goes down smoothly for my beloved, gliding over lips and teeth.
I am my beloved's, 10 and his desire is for me.

No, the context before and after this verse do nothing to make this mean anything less than what it is saying.

The whole of Song of Solomon was unexpected. Loved it though... It's a very beautiful poem.

PS: That's 7:9, not 8:9 and the preceding text makes it clear that its about a kiss.

Quote:Oh, may your breasts be like clusters of the vine,
And the fragrance of your breath like apples,
9 And your mouth like the best wine!”

“[k]It goes down smoothly for my beloved,
Flowing gently through the lips of those who fall asleep.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8322 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Substitutionary Atonement! WTF? ignoramus 107 23210 June 23, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22357 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 125712 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Biblical Account of the Creation - A new look RonaldMcRaygun 10 2943 March 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4404 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3586 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Post your favorite examples of religion trying to be "cool" Bunburryist 6 1097 August 22, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Apparently yo ucan be poosessed via cyberspace...wtf ReptilianPeon 14 3859 November 20, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Astral WTF Longhorn 25 3000 July 5, 2015 at 3:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy