Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what makes a person a person?
what makes a person a person?
would it be possible to recreate yourself in the future if you die? I know the brain is made out of cells and electricity. the dna makes up who you are (hair color, eye color, skin color, etc). If we were to create the brain, and stick the brain inside a human with the same dna as the brain, would that be you? if you can indeed be revived, if we do the same process and do that with another person, would that person be you still? if both persons are you, do you control both people? What limits the control that you have? siamese twins share the same body but one of each siamese twin control a part of their body, they don't control all their body.
RE: what makes a person a person?
There are a lot of things that go into what a person becomes, including initial personality, life experiences, and genetics. I'm sure there are other people in the world that are very similar to me, but it would be almost impossible to make someone exactly like me.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Taint nobody like me. I'm uneek.

Bank. Smile
What makes a person a person? Usually that person's parents.

rimshot
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
If you recreated the brain instead of using the original brain, then it's not the same person.
(December 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm)microxone Wrote: would it be possible to recreate yourself in the future if you die? I know the brain is made out of cells and electricity. the dna makes up who you are (hair color, eye color, skin color, etc). If we were to create the brain, and stick the brain inside a human with the same dna as the brain, would that be you? if you can indeed be revived, if we do the same process and do that with another person, would that person be you still? if both persons are you, do you control both people? What limits the control that you have? siamese twins share the same body but one of each siamese twin control a part of their body, they don't control all their body.

Yeh it's a good question, if someone recreated you after you die exactly the same would it be you. It doesn't work that way in twins does it? When the egg splits.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

What makes a person a person is a big question and I am unaware of a satisfactory answer as of yet.
Turing came up with the Turing test for intelligence which, if taken to a logical conclusion, could include personhood.
But the Turing test can be gamed with clever programming so something new needs to be worked out.

Dolphins, Elephants and some great apes are self aware and can react in a very person like way, can they count as a person? (as distinct from a human which is just a species label).

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Animals have different personalities too, so I guess they could be considered people. Or at least individuals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The July/August 2013 issue of Philosophy Now included a number of articles on the self. You could start there with Chris Durante's article. (Amazon.com is probably the best place to buy Philosophy Now issues and subscriptions, though it's also available from Zinio magazines, on Android.)

http://philosophynow.org/issues/97

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
twins share the same dna, but twins themselves don't have the same identitical dna. when the egg splits, it means one dna is splitted into 2 dna. it's like cutting an apple in half.

we do have chimeras though which basically is 2 sets of dna inside one person and that one person have full control of his/her body.

but of course, we can take into account of asexual reproduction which is exactly what I think to recreate the self. any bacteria have the same dna, but is the 2nd bacteria the 1st bacteria? no. the brain is billions of cells and more complex than the bacteria so it make might a different. there is cloning lambs too. i would assume both people with the same exact dna will not share the same memory. memory is stored on the brain. the clone will not have that memory because the brain doesn't have the memory since memory is just cells. the next question would be "would it be possible to transfer memory from one person to an another if memory is just cells"?

(December 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(December 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm)microxone Wrote: would it be possible to recreate yourself in the future if you die? I know the brain is made out of cells and electricity. the dna makes up who you are (hair color, eye color, skin color, etc). If we were to create the brain, and stick the brain inside a human with the same dna as the brain, would that be you? if you can indeed be revived, if we do the same process and do that with another person, would that person be you still? if both persons are you, do you control both people? What limits the control that you have? siamese twins share the same body but one of each siamese twin control a part of their body, they don't control all their body.

Yeh it's a good question, if someone recreated you after you die exactly the same would it be you. It doesn't work that way in twins does it? When the egg splits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18225 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  It makes me sad Rahn127 7 1673 April 24, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3167 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2562 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  As an atheist, what makes your socks go up and down?? vorlon13 4 1521 May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 24068 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 28955 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0
  This Makes Me A Very Happy Atheist LivingNumbers6.626 0 1016 May 5, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Makes me wonder tor 34 5955 April 2, 2014 at 7:20 am
Last Post: archangle
  pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie? justin 4 2786 March 2, 2013 at 3:35 am
Last Post: justin