Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is not a person, just a thermodynamically inefficient process.
God is not a person, just a thermodynamically inefficient process.
Psalm 14:1 says I'm a fool because I believe that the concept of God is idiotic. Christians and Muslims bring up the "watch" argument stating that, if a hand-watch was created by a human, what tells us that a person, aka. God, has not created the Universe?

To the argument that the watch was created, I disagree, my Christian and Muslim brothers are playing with words. The watch was not created, it was transformed, which involved process, not creation. And the process is well defined, in fact, if you go to Rolex factory, they have machinery and workers that follow a procedure.

Assuming God created the Universe, we can't help but to look at the process. Comparing the process of making a Rolex watch to the process by which this Universe was created is like comparing sharp-shooting methodology to "spraying and praying" type of shooting. Life in our Universe is in far too rare for it to qualify as God's main goal, if there even is a God and if he even had such thing as a goal. In fact, life looks like a minuscule by-product.

Furthermore, the process by which life was obtained is random and is by far the worst process you could think of to create life. First of all, it takes too long, second, it's energetically inefficient, with a thermodynamical efficiency approaching 10^-500 given that all stars burn for nothing without creating life and the Sun being a minuscule exception to the rule. All we know for sure, as we read from the microwave background radiation is that there was an explosion and life is a tiny by-product of that explosion.

Question is, what fool of a God would waste so much time and energy to create us if he was an all-knowing person. All that would be required is some incubators in which to clone a few million humans, terraform a planet, put them there and that's it!

Our technology is close to reaching a point where, with fusion reactors we could actually terraform Mars. Since God took 4 billion years to terraform Earth, if we beat that record and terraform Mars in less time, we are greater than God are we not? If we can do God's work, in less time and requiring 10^500 less energy, who is God? Except us? Our process will far exceed God's process, which is nothing but randomness, spray and pray and non-sense: minuscule probabilities of things to occur.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]
RE: God is not a person, just a thermodynamically inefficient process.
(December 20, 2013 at 11:08 am)Ksa Wrote: Psalm 14:1 says I'm a fool because I believe that the concept of God is idiotic. Christians and Muslims bring up the "watch" argument stating that, if a hand-watch was created by a human, what tells us that a person, aka. God, has not created the Universe?

To the argument that the watch was created, I disagree, my Christian and Muslim brothers are playing with words. The watch was not created, it was transformed, which involved process, not creation. And the process is well defined, in fact, if you go to Rolex factory, they have machinery and workers that follow a procedure.

Assuming God created the Universe, we can't help but to look at the process. Comparing the process of making a Rolex watch to the process by which this Universe was created is like comparing sharp-shooting methodology to "spraying and praying" type of shooting. Life in our Universe is in far too rare for it to qualify as God's main goal, if there even is a God and if he even had such thing as a goal. In fact, life looks like a minuscule by-product.

Furthermore, the process by which life was obtained is random and is by far the worst process you could think of to create life. First of all, it takes too long, second, it's energetically inefficient, with a thermodynamical efficiency approaching 10^-500 given that all stars burn for nothing without creating life and the Sun being a minuscule exception to the rule. All we know for sure, as we read from the microwave background radiation is that there was an explosion and life is a tiny by-product of that explosion.

Question is, what fool of a God would waste so much time and energy to create us if he was an all-knowing person. All that would be required is some incubators in which to clone a few million humans, terraform a planet, put them there and that's it!

Our technology is close to reaching a point where, with fusion reactors we could actually terraform Mars. Since God took 4 billion years to terraform Earth, if we beat that record and terraform Mars in less time, we are greater than God are we not? If we can do God's work, in less time and requiring 10^500 less energy, who is God? Except us? Our process will far exceed God's process, which is nothing but randomness, spray and pray and non-sense: minuscule probabilities of things to occur.

All those words and you missed the meaning of creation. You put to much into the ability of man, we have not been able to make grass let lone terraform a planet. Science fiction is not reality.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 20, 2013 at 11:08 am)Ksa Wrote: Since God took 4 billion years to terraform Earth...

No. A coupla days. Or: 4.5 - 3.8 = 700 million years to make Earth suitable for unicellular organisms.

And I like genetic engineering for this task, at least initially. See myself in the backyard with a seed pod I flick from my fingers that drifts towards Mars and grows a habitat awaiting my arrival. Big Grin
(December 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 11:08 am)Ksa Wrote: Psalm 14:1 says I'm a fool because I believe that the concept of God is idiotic. Christians and Muslims bring up the "watch" argument stating that, if a hand-watch was created by a human, what tells us that a person, aka. God, has not created the Universe?

All those words and you missed the meaning of creation. You put to much into the ability of man, we have not been able to make grass let lone terraform a planet. Science fiction is not reality.

GC

Nice argument from ignorance you got there. But why am I even talking to somebody who thinks I deserve to go to hell.
(December 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: Science fiction is not reality.

You sure about that? You believe an earthbound deity posing as own son, required himself to sacrifice himself to himself and afterwards, floated off into the clouds. All because he needed to save a small amount of us from going to a horrible alternate dimension that he made himself.

Yeah yeah .... keep telling everyone how YOU don't believe in science fiction.

[Image: Cherna-facepalm.gif]
[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm)feeling Wrote: Nice argument from ignorance you got there. But why am I even talking to somebody who thinks I deserve to go to hell.

Don't mind GC. He has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

The fact that he can use a computer may very well be the miracle that proves god's existence.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 20, 2013 at 2:17 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

You sure about that? You believe an earthbound deity posing as own son, required himself to sacrifice himself to himself and afterwards, floated off into the clouds. All because he needed to save a small amount of us from going to a horrible alternate dimension that he made himself.

Let him go Cinjin. He is too indoctrinated. There is nothing we can do.
[Image: comforting_hand.jpg]
(December 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: All those words and you missed the meaning of creation. You put to much into the ability of man, we have not been able to make grass let lone terraform a planet. Science fiction is not reality.

GC

That cuts two ways, you put too much into the ability of God, when the only ability you have witnessed is that of man. Is it that hard to believe that we are the closest thing to Gods? Have you ever heard of Monsanto? Not only they can make grass seeds from scratch, but they can also genetically program them to stop working after a year so that you have to buy new ones every time.

Your knowledge is very weak. If you wish to belong in this debate you better pull out more wisdom and knowledge then that.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]

Not the same thing at all. GC believes in Fantasy, not SF. SF has to have some basis in reality, fantasy doesn't.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!

He only believes in bona fide anti-science fiction, not science fiction, not even science fiction that has no real science in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every person is religious Ahriman 289 11962 November 2, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: no one
  just another god hypothetical ... ignoramus 55 8167 July 14, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10169 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1787 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10358 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why is Kim Jong-un just like God. ignoramus 3 1601 July 11, 2017 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3826 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4019 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25690 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15594 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue