Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:32 am

Poll: Atheist 'churches' a good idea?
This poll is closed.
Yes
15.63%
5 15.63%
No
53.13%
17 53.13%
Not sure/Depends
31.25%
10 31.25%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist 'church'?
Atheist 'church'?
So I get home, and the first thing I see on the news is bullshit about there being an atheist church:

http://news.sky.com/story/1185876/church...f-atheists

Am I the only person who finds this completely fucking stupid? Just reminds me of Atheism+.
RE: Atheist 'church'?
Yup, fucking dumb. Church is for worship,atheist don't worship.
My internet sucks so I only watch the first minute, but that was enough to annoy me. What the fuck is with the stupid singing. They look like a bunch of crazy Christians, just singing different words.
[Image: 347]
Eurgh, no.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Re: Atheist 'church'?
They have one of those near here somewhere. I've been meaning to check it out for a while now. Just out of curiosity, to see if they're as dumb as they seem.
This just gives ammunition to Christians who state that atheism is a religion.

My non beleif in a divinity does not give me anything else in common with other atheists
I'm cool with it so long as they meet in the afternoon, have couches instead of pews, and do human sacrifice.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Puts me in mind of the old joke:

Have you heard about the agnostic terrorists? They go round burning question marks on peoples' lawns.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

It serves to allow otherwise marginalized people, atheists, to get together and share a sense of community and feel not so marginal. I see nothing wrong with that. Plus, it allows atheists to learn from and support each other (not everyone has this forum). In my area, some Unitarian Universalist churches serve much the same purpose, allowing secular people to enjoy each other in a religiously neutral space, and work towards common social activist goals (usually having to do with poverty and the environment). It works for me. I'm a Hindu, but I find such a space more welcoming than a temple (granted, most temples are run by a different kind of Hindu than what I am; there aren't really any local temples to the goddess that I know of).

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
One of the things I most enjoy about being an atheist is not having to go to some structured kerfuffle of a service every week. My meet up group more than serves my need for a sense of community -- only we do really fun things, like have parties, meet for coffee, drinks, pee wee golf, do altruistic good works and the like. Most of us meet outside the group activities as well.

I agree with là bạn điên, it just gives the Christians some faux ammunition to assert that atheism is "just another religion." I really hate that.
(December 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm)Raeven Wrote: I agree with là bạn điên, it just gives the Christians some faux ammunition to assert that atheism is "just another religion." I really hate that.

Like Christians are going to treat you fairly if you avoid doing certain things. Sounds like you're surrendering some of your autonomy and freedom to avoid false persecution, when doing so won't actually save you from false persecution after all. Standing up to them tends to be more effective than trying to avoid coming up on their radar.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went to an atheist "church" Tea Earl Grey Hot 26 2756 March 15, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  ATHEIST CHURCH? Athene 22 4682 August 3, 2015 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Atheist "Church" TheBeardedDude 13 3964 November 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Trino34
Tongue An Atheist Church in London Nobody 2 1680 March 4, 2013 at 3:55 am
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Atheist "church" in London. downbeatplumb 75 20617 February 13, 2013 at 4:41 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Atheist Church of the evolving Human God. Greatest I am 15 6410 November 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church Faith No More 10 3481 December 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist