Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist "church" in London.
Atheist "church" in London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

I thought the best part about being an atheist was not having to go to places like this.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Atheist "church" in London.
Just a bunch of knobheads who happen to be atheist, trying to be, well I don't know what - twats?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Churches do perform a social function as well. Probably why Unitarian Universalist churches are popular in the USA.
dammit i knew this was gonna happen one day. why!!!!!!
(February 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Churches do perform a social function as well.

Only for god botherers.

Pubs also perform just as good a social function. As do many other clubs and places where you can meet people.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that atheists do not need a "church" to have get togethers.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

It really doesnt sound like if it was something worth going to
Sure we don't, but this isn't about what people need; this is about what people want. These people clearly want a place to meet up and talk about ideas on a Sunday. Maybe they don't want to go down the pub, or to clubs or other places. Maybe all their friends are religious and go to church on Sunday.

I'm not sure why people are so against this idea. When did meeting up with people, singing songs, discussing science, and having a good sociable time become wrong? I must have missed that memo.
(February 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Sure we don't, but this isn't about what people need; this is about what people want. These people clearly want a place to meet up and talk about ideas on a Sunday. Maybe they don't want to go down the pub, or to clubs or other places. Maybe all their friends are religious and go to church on Sunday.

I'm not sure why people are so against this idea. When did meeting up with people, singing songs, discussing science, and having a good sociable time become wrong? I must have missed that memo.

It's all a bit vegan, beardy, tree huggers, wearing woolly jumpers, playing folksy type music and eating tofu, going "Heyyyy, we're cool too. Heyyyy, we have our own church, don't you know?" for me.

Makes me want to puke, to be honest.

So people who don't believe in something specifically can get together to enjoy the experience of not doing anything particularly with each other?
(February 4, 2013 at 2:41 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: It's all a bit vegan, beardy, tree huggers, wearing woolly jumpers, playing folksy type music and eating tofu, going "Heyyyy, we're cool too. Heyyyy, we have our own church, don't you know?" for me.

Makes me want to puke, to be honest.
Methinks you are reading too much into this. I see no examples of anything you've said in the article.

(February 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm)Zone Wrote: So people who don't believe in something specifically can get together to enjoy the experience of not doing anything particularly with each other?
How is discussing science, singing songs, and generally having a fun time with other people "not doing anything particularly".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went to an atheist "church" Tea Earl Grey Hot 26 2742 March 15, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  ATHEIST CHURCH? Athene 22 4677 August 3, 2015 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Atheist 'church'? Napoléon 63 16661 January 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist "Church" TheBeardedDude 13 3963 November 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Trino34
Tongue An Atheist Church in London Nobody 2 1678 March 4, 2013 at 3:55 am
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Atheist Church of the evolving Human God. Greatest I am 15 6408 November 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Looking for an athist event in London Chriswt 0 748 December 21, 2011 at 6:16 am
Last Post: Chriswt
  1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church Faith No More 10 3481 December 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  London Student interviewed me Tiberius 2 1972 March 3, 2009 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Godless Christmas in London Tiberius 1 2992 September 11, 2008 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Ace Otana