Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental illness
Mental illness
How should mental illness be defined? How do you decide when somebody's abnormal behavior is an illness that needs to be cured or just an interesting personality trait? Is a trait something to be corrected when it causes "harm"? How do you define "harm" then?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Mental illness
An excellent question....perhaps best said as:

Everyone’s Crazy But Me ‘n Thee (& I’m not too sure ’bout Thee)
Oh god, not this shit again.
I swear I'm perfectly sane! Panic
(December 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: How should mental illness be defined? How do you decide when somebody's abnormal behavior is an illness that needs to be cured or just an interesting personality trait? Is a trait something to be corrected when it causes "harm"? How do you define "harm" then?

IIRC, it is considered a disorder when it causes "distress or disability" - in other words, "harm" would be when the person who is experiencing it finds it distressing or disabling.

That works for me.
I have no idea how to define a mental illness. at least we're calling it a mental thing nowadays, instead of demonic possession. Some of us, anyways. Transgenderism sounds like a mental illness to some. Someone thinking they're a different gender because their brain processes things differently. Yet many say it isn't.

I guess it may just boil down to "As long as they aren't hurting themselves or others". That's a pretty good bar, right?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Generally it is seen as an illness if it adversely affects the person's ability to function day-to-day. Its one of the reasons why homosexuality was proven not be a mental illness in the 1970s and stuck off from the DSM.

From a person with depression it does affect me day-to-day sometimes I have to be forced to get up by my boyfriend since I don't feel like its worth it, sometimes I can't go through the day without needing to cry and hurt myself over nothing, I am irritable, don't eat well etc. thats an illness.
[Image: pride___lgbt_signature_by_valkyriye-d65q6tr.png]
Mental, illness = Hypochondriasis
My 17yr old daughter who runs a local campaign for mental health in the area (https://www.facebook.com/t4lkpreston?fref=ts) says an illness is something where the symptoms can be treated, whereas a trait is just who you are.
(December 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: How should mental illness be defined? How do you decide when somebody's abnormal behavior is an illness that needs to be cured or just an interesting personality trait? Is a trait something to be corrected when it causes "harm"? How do you define "harm" then?

IIRC, it is considered a disorder when it causes "distress or disability" - in other words, "harm" would be when the person who is experiencing it finds it distressing or disabling.

That works for me.

I'm glad to hear that I can finally refer to my job as a mental illness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Euthanasia for Mental Illness brewer 32 2254 September 12, 2023 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sport and mental health. purplepurpose 24 2156 August 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mental state of narcos who commit atrocious crimes. Macoleco 16 2950 April 24, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion and mental health mcolafson 18 3065 October 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Religion as a mental illness RedRod 50 11126 August 25, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Biological proof of mental disorders Creed of Heresy 6 4565 June 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Neuroscience, neurology, mental disorders Creed of Heresy 12 4895 May 2, 2013 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Love
  Which mental illness did Muhammad Have? Meylis Delano Lawrence 8 10610 February 17, 2013 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support Shell B 270 78013 July 9, 2012 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Shell B