Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and mental health
Religion and mental health
I don't know if this thread belongs here or in atheism section.

But I am curious about correlation of religion and mental health.

Especially Doomsday expectations and neurosis.
RE: Religion and mental health
Schizophrenia is associated with religious ideation, but autism is associated with atheism, so maybe it's a wash.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
If you're curious about a topic, I'd suggest googling it first and doing a bit of reading. Because if you ask here, that's what we're going to do unless we know the topic off the top of our heads.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 4, 2016 at 10:01 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If you're curious about a topic, I'd suggest googling it first and doing a bit of reading.  Because if you ask here, that's what we're going to do unless we know the topic off the top of our heads.

I actually hope that someone knows the topic off his/her head.

And maybe someone can explain Margaret White, mother or Carrie White.

----
But if you don't like the topic. we can ask to close it.
I don't know any stats. I'll just speculate and talk from experience.

I think poor mental health, especially anything that involves blurring of reality, probably makes people more vulnerable to religious ideas. Hopelessness and instability are things religious preaching often preys on. Add in hallucinations and such, and you've got someone who regularly experiences the things religious people either pretend they experience, have fooled themselves into thinking they experience, or experienced a couple of times due to mental glitches. I've seen this combination together, and it's not surprising how hard it is to fight out of religion's grip. It's hard enough for people who aren't experiencing weird things.

Very religious people often sound very similar to heavily mentally ill people to me. This is most concerning. Basically, either they are deluded, or I am. We're not living in the same reality. Seeing as each religion person's rantings tends to be slightly different from the next's, it seems more likely they are the deluded ones than the entirety of sceptics who experience none of any of it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 4, 2016 at 9:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Schizophrenia is associated with religious ideation, but autism is associated with atheism, so maybe it's a wash.

Or maybe we can't tell what we are Wink
There is high quality evidence that shows religious activity has positive mental health outcomes.

"While some articles made comparison between non-religious and religious individuals, the majority of outcomes revealed significant relationship between religion and mental health, specifically depression and anxiety symptoms, and substances abuse and suicide behavior and idea, which indicates that religious and spiritual can serve as effective psychotherapy for depression, anxiety, suicide, substance abuse, and mental health." - AbdAleati et al 2016 (systematic review).

This is the paper's conclusion:

"This finding indicates that religious practices and improved sense of religiousness could be used as a therapy to overcome or minimize anxiety, substance abuse, suicidal ideation, and depression among patients. It appears that some religious elements may serve as protective factors for physical and mental health."

If you want an open-access paper you can read there's this one from 2006 by Moreira-Almeida et al (also a systematic review) and this meta analysis from 2003 by Hackney & Sanders.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
When I first heard word that there was something wrong with the baby I was pregnant with, the doctors initially thought it was down syndrome along with some physical disabilities as well. That was ruled out about 2 weeks later, but during those 2 weeks that I was having panic attacks and severe anxiety, thinking I was going to be having a severely disabled child, it was my faith and multiple visits with my priest that helped bring me peace and helped me get through the hardest time of my life.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 5, 2016 at 9:42 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: When I first heard word that there was something wrong with the baby I was pregnant with, the doctors initially thought it was down syndrome along with some physical disabilities as well. That was ruled out about 2 weeks later, but during those 2 weeks that I was having panic attack and severe anxiety, thinking I was going to be having a severely disabled child, it was my faith and multiple visits with my priest that helped bring me peace and helped me get through the hardest time of my life.

Whatever works for you is fine.

Myself, I like to sometimes indulge in "magical thinking" when shit hits the fan.
(October 4, 2016 at 10:28 am)mcolafson Wrote:
(October 4, 2016 at 10:01 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If you're curious about a topic, I'd suggest googling it first and doing a bit of reading.  Because if you ask here, that's what we're going to do unless we know the topic off the top of our heads.

I actually hope that someone knows the topic off his/her head.

And maybe someone can explain Margaret White, mother or Carrie White.

----
But if you don't like the topic. we can ask to close it.

Well, I assume you know that Margaret White is a fictional character. Although, I do believe I once read that White's character was loosely inspired by King's brief encounter with a holy roller, who happened to have a life-sized, cardboard Jesus standing in the middle her living room at the time. 

At any rate, it should be easy enough to find out about the author's personal insight into his fictional creations; Check out Stephen King's On Writing. 

Or easier yet, visit an official fan site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Euthanasia for Mental Illness brewer 32 2156 September 12, 2023 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sport and mental health. purplepurpose 24 2131 August 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mental state of narcos who commit atrocious crimes. Macoleco 16 2931 April 24, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2526 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 health scare vorlon13 121 9130 November 18, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Catholics and Health Care brewer 2 591 September 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Religion as a mental illness RedRod 50 10978 August 25, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Mental illness Tea Earl Grey Hot 17 3924 January 12, 2014 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Air pollution causes cancer, world health authority says pocaracas 3 1347 October 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Biological proof of mental disorders Creed of Heresy 6 4551 June 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy