Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Euthanasia for Mental Illness
Euthanasia for Mental Illness
I know that the forum has discussed this before but I thought I'd bring it up again considering all the new members that have come around.

There is legislation in Canada that would allow physician assisted euthenesia (MAID-medical assistance in dying) to include serious mental illness. Currently only physicial conditions can be considered. The legislation opriginally enacted in 2021 was put on hold until 2023 and then pushed back to 2024. 

Thought this might be an interesting topic.

Canada website regarding MAID: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/bk-di.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Euthanasia for Mental Illness
I'll be wanting an "off" button before much longer.
Not sure about this.

Those with serious mental issues can rarely give consent, and the motives of those holding medical proxies over them would need to be questioned thoroughly.
Dying to live, living to die.
I have a living will that gives my wife full authority to "do what makes sense to you, dear." We've discussed various scenarios, and she knows my wishes. I cool with it.
(August 23, 2023 at 8:29 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I have a living will that gives my wife full authority to "do what makes sense to you, dear." We've discussed various scenarios, and she knows my wishes. I cool with it.

My father used to hold my medical proxy in case of that, and I held his. Since he died, I don't trust my Catholic mother with mine.

These ones make sense to me. We have made an informed decision about it.

Those who are seriously mentally ill, especially those who have been from birth or a young age, cannot give consent the same way.
Dying to live, living to die.
Wasn't there a teenage girl in Denmark who had untreatable depression and fought the government for the right to die? I think she won her case, iirc.

I might have been confusing the above case/details with this, in which case I remembered many things wrong:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/j...ed-at-home

This story also seems relevant:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45117163

And this:
https://news.sky.com/story/ive-been-gran...e-12055578
Everyone is mentally ill. Every single hooman on the planet has a mental defect. But as valks says, it is the severity of these defects that draws closer, more definitive investigation.

It is one thing to have stipulations where you clearly state you no longer wish to live in a certain condition. However, for those born with severe mental instabilities, those who never possess the ability to grant consent. Or even those who lose all mental faculties as time passes, deep lines should be drawn.
I'm with Valk. I think it would be a field of landmines, practically...and since my government can't even deliver the mail, I'm not sure I'd trust them officializing suicidal ideation.

OTOH, one trip to the dmv suggests that they may already be experts in the phenomena.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 24, 2023 at 5:19 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'm with Valk.  I think it would be a field of landmines, practically...and since my government can't even deliver the mail, I'm not sure I'd trust them officializing suicidal ideation.

OTOH, one trip to the dmv suggests that they may already be experts in the phenomena.

Same same. Anyone who can give informed consent should have access to physician assisted suicide. But how reliable is the informed consent of a delusional paranoid schizophrenic?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
While I can understand a desire for assisted suicide in the case of advanced dementia and the like, I don't think we have that figured out and won't for some time.

Also it seems to me that this would face opposition from the anti-abortion crew. After all, all life is precious, right?

At the end of dad's life, even though he had all his wishes spelled out legally and the medical staff was informed, the doctor still had to hear it from one of us kids. Clear cut. Dad was dying of cancer that had, and was continuing to, ravage his body. Staff could NOT keep his pain under control without rendering him completely out of it or dead. The paperwork had been done when dad was of sound mind and well before the cancer had advanced that far. On top of that, he had a medical background and was well-informed of what was happening to his body as it died piece by piece. To me, the worst part was that his mind didn't falter, he was aware of it all.

Until we figure out how to proceed in a sensible way with those you are obviously terminal and have no quality of life...how are we going to decide that someone is mentally ill enough to receive assistance in their death?

That's a rough one.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sport and mental health. purplepurpose 24 2156 August 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mental state of narcos who commit atrocious crimes. Macoleco 16 2948 April 24, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion and mental health mcolafson 18 3061 October 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Religion as a mental illness RedRod 50 11122 August 25, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Mental illness Tea Earl Grey Hot 17 3934 January 12, 2014 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Biological proof of mental disorders Creed of Heresy 6 4564 June 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Neuroscience, neurology, mental disorders Creed of Heresy 12 4895 May 2, 2013 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Love
  Which mental illness did Muhammad Have? Meylis Delano Lawrence 8 10610 February 17, 2013 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness Support Shell B 270 78004 July 9, 2012 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Shell B