Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sport and mental health.
Sport and mental health.
Does anyone know rough percentage regarding sports impact on mental health?

EDIT: Found something https://www.englandathletics.org/library...lth-v4.pdf
RE: Sport and mental health.
Not sure what stats you are looking for exactly. Your question is very vague.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(July 3, 2018 at 11:14 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Not sure what stats you are looking for exactly. Your question is very vague.
If sport really has a significant impact on mental health, it should let people be able to work more, for example, after they fixed their mental disorders. Would be awesome to know the benefits in percentage.
Being knocked hard on the head by a ball multiple times can't possibly have a positive impact on mental health.
(July 3, 2018 at 11:28 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(July 3, 2018 at 11:14 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Not sure what stats you are looking for exactly. Your question is very vague.

How significant are benefits of sport to mental health? If they are significant, would be awesome to know in percentage.

Percentage of what? I'm still not exactly sure the question. There are a massive amount of different stats on the subject. Here is a study about exercise and depression.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC474733/
Jogging moderately 3 times a week for half an hour is as effective as pychotherapy and more effective than ssris.

Quote:There were no significant differences between these 3 groups, with all groups displaying a significant reduction in depression, and the positive benefits were still present at the 4-month follow-up (BDI reduction of 10.9 [running] vs. 11.0 [therapy] vs. 7.7 [combined]; main effect for time, p < .001; group × time interaction, NS, p > .05).

Personally though, I cured my anexity disorder with rock climbing. In college I had an extreme case of panic disorder. I had terrible panic attacks and nothing worked. Then I got addicted to rock climbing and they went away almost completely.

For whatever reason depressed people are extremely resistant to the idea that they depression can be cured by sport, it's too simple, even though all the evidence suggests that exercise is one of the best treatments there is.

I'd say that study is pretty limited, because it only studies what I'd call extremely moderate excercise. Joining a sport or doing a sport is the best thing a depressed person can do. Because it's both exercise and social and a good way to meet women and sustainable. Where as just going to the gym is lame and temporary unless you like going to the gym.
I know that footballers, boxers, and maybe other sports have an abnormally high rate of concussion-related brain damage, and I was honestly shocked to find that this was actually something that only came to light fairly recently.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 3, 2018 at 11:57 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I know that footballers, boxers, and maybe other sports have an abnormally high rate of concussion-related brain damage, and I was honestly shocked to find that this was actually something that only came to light fairly recently.

That's professional footballers and boxers etc. Most of those occurred during training as well, which is going to be way different for a professional than just a guy taking a boxing class.

That's also a piss poor excuse to not do sports, the vast majority of which have no concussion risk. Every study done since this was studied first around 1900 concludes that sport are good for mental health.
(July 3, 2018 at 11:50 am)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(July 3, 2018 at 11:28 am)purplepurpose Wrote: How significant are benefits of sport to mental health? If they are significant, would be awesome to know in percentage.

Percentage of what? I'm still not exactly sure the question. There are a massive amount of different stats on the subject. Here is a study about exercise and depression.
Jogging moderately 3 times a week for half an hour is as effective as pychotherapy and more effective than ssris.

Quote:There were no significant differences between these 3 groups, with all groups displaying a significant reduction in depression, and the positive benefits were still present at the 4-month follow-up (BDI reduction of 10.9 [running] vs. 11.0 [therapy] vs. 7.7 [combined]; main effect for time, p < .001; group × time interaction, NS, p > .05).

Personally though, I cured my anexity disorder with rock climbing. In college I had an extreme case of panic disorder. I had terrible panic attacks and nothing worked. Then I got addicted to rock climbing and they went away almost completely.

For whatever reason depressed people are extremely resistant to the idea that they depression can be cured by sport, it's too simple, even though all the evidence suggests that exercise is one of the best treatments there is.

I'd say that study is pretty limited, because it only studies what I'd call extremely moderate excercise. Joining a sport or doing a sport is the best thing a depressed person can do. Because it's both exercise and social and a good way to meet women and sustainable. Where as just going to the gym is lame and temporary unless you like going to the gym.

Thanks for the answer. I have a mentally demanding job and I need to heal up mentally to endure that stress.
Note, at least in the case of football, there's still a damn good chance of even those who played in college and even high school getting shockingly high rates of CTE.

Granted, American Football seems to be the worst offender, and the rush of endorphins that usually comes when someone is really into sports can certainly help mental health, but it doesn't really mean a thing when you go through a period of time when you routinely get concussions.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 3, 2018 at 12:12 pm)purplepurpose Wrote:
(July 3, 2018 at 11:50 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Percentage of what? I'm still not exactly sure the question. There are a massive amount of different stats on the subject. Here is a study about exercise and depression.

Thanks for the answer. I have a mentally demanding job and I need to heal up mentally to endure that stress.

I've done a ton of sports in my life. If you want to be able to mentally endure something, two stand out. Rock Climbing and jiu jitsu. Both of them are what I'd call stressful sports. In that you put yourself in a stressful situation and have to work your way out of it. It'll make real life situation seem rather trivial. Esspecially rock climbing.

(July 3, 2018 at 12:16 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Note, at least in the case of football, there's still a damn good chance of even those who played in college and even high school getting shockingly high rates of CTE.

Granted, American Football seems to be the worst offender, and the rush of endorphins that usually comes when someone is really into sports can certainly help mental health, but it doesn't really mean a thing when you go through a period of time when you routinely get concussions.

I've actually read that study before. I'd hardly call the high school rates 'shockingly high'

Problem with american football is that it's not a sustainable sport. Nobody does it as an adult except maybe touch football in the back yard anyway.

I'm also not certain your point. A reason to not play american football professionally is definitely not a reason to not go jogging where there is no risk of concussion. Most sports have no risk of cte. So if that's really a concern, don't do one of those.

Like I pointed out before, every study ever done on the subject shows that sports help depression.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Euthanasia for Mental Illness brewer 32 2237 September 12, 2023 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Mental state of narcos who commit atrocious crimes. Macoleco 16 2943 April 24, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2532 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 health scare vorlon13 121 9153 November 18, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Religion and mental health mcolafson 18 3054 October 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Catholics and Health Care brewer 2 593 September 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Religion as a mental illness RedRod 50 11065 August 25, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Mental illness Tea Earl Grey Hot 17 3932 January 12, 2014 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Air pollution causes cancer, world health authority says pocaracas 3 1349 October 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Biological proof of mental disorders Creed of Heresy 6 4560 June 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy