Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well this will please the Christians....I think.
Well this will please the Christians....I think.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/de...ence-jesus

+1 for historical Jesus I guess.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Well this will please the Christians....I think.
I have to go with Yuval Goren and not a bunch of fucking lawyers.

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Goren_report.shtml

Quote:Conclusions

The ossuary is authentic, based on its typology and patination. The accumulation of rock varnish is considered a very lengthy process. It appears that the deposition of the patina was also considerably prolonged.
The inscription was engraved (or at least, completely cleaned) in modern times.
The inscription coating is not natural. It was made by grinding and dissolving chalk in hot water (possibly the powder resulting from the newly carved inscription), and spilling the paste onto the inscription and surrounding area, in order to blur the freshly engraved signs.
I'll reserve judgment for now. This particular ossuary has a cloudy history. Even if found to be authentic, all it ultimately shows is the a man called Yosep had two sons called Yacov and Yeshua, all reasonably common names in 1st century Judea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Makes no difference one way or another.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
It does seem there is a need for a little scepticism ....

perhaps more than a little ....

"In late July 2003, Israeli police raided the Tel Aviv home of Golan. According to a 2003 Religion News Service (RNS) story, directly damning evidence was discovered in a rooftop storage room during the raid. "We found in this room other inscriptions and antiquities that appeared to be in various stages of being counterfeited," IAA officer Amir Ganor told the RNS. "We also found a lot of equipment for the process." They also found the James Ossuary stored in a bathroom sitting on a toilet, an odd place for such a significant archeological find."

Link...
http://www.livescience.com/3792-voice-re...icism.html
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Since they're all such common names, does it actually have an implication as to whether Jesus existed? Is there even a way to determine if the "historical Jesus" is the same one depicted in the bible considering it's so full of miracles (read: made up shit) and has been changed so many times? I mean which parts of the bible should historical Jesus match up with to qualify? Probably just his lineage is what I'm thinking.

Jesus, the miracle worker =/= Yeshua, the Jew

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote:Jesus, the miracle worker =/= Yeshua, the Jew

Excellent way to phrase it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

Jesus, the miracle worker =/= Yeshua, the Jew

Jesus! I wasn't going there.

Confused Fall

I know there is a lot of doubt over this one but I was surprised by the Guardian article which implies that these have now been overcome.

Would have been more interesting had it been Jesus' own ossuary of course.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(December 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm)max-greece Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/de...ence-jesus

+1 for historical Jesus I guess.

Nope - just another unprovable claim - that is already questioned by real authorities of ancient objects.

Even if they could date the object to the correct time - they still have not proven that the James and Joseph involved are those of the bible MYTH.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1020 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2780 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What do the conservative Christians here think of Professor Bart Ehrman? Jehanne 69 6036 March 8, 2019 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7844 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Well, shit... Now who are supposed to worship? Cyberman 20 4547 July 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31283 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A lesson well learned from Noah..... maestroanth 48 8755 April 11, 2016 at 3:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Wink Well, that was fun! Cyberman 25 3208 March 10, 2016 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Christians: Please Explain Aractus 43 9815 December 10, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well i thought id put this here dyresand 3 1348 November 2, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: dyresand