Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From atheism to Christianity? How so?
From atheism to Christianity? How so?
Say someone... pfffff, any random atheist, not calling out anyone... converted to Christianity. How did this happen? Anybody else... er, I mean anybody here been there, done that?

I confess I'm skeptical to this. First thing to pop into my head is that this is just another fundie trying to save souls by fitting in then sticking the hook down the throat.
Granted I could be wrong. Show me.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
RE: From atheism to Christianity? How so?
No idea, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. Many people seek out a deeper spiritual meaning to life, and since most folks are raised believers in god, they either stick with their pre-selected religion or find another that fits them better. For someone raised without god, that drive to fill the "god-sized hole" could lead them anywhere. For others it might be a period of great grief or stress which leads them to seek answers they thought they always had.

People make changes like this from time to time. The unpredictability of people is one of the things that makes us so interesting, in general.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 26, 2013 at 7:05 am)Ivy Wrote: Say someone... pfffff, any random atheist, not calling out anyone... converted to Christianity. How did this happen? Anybody else... er, I mean anybody here been there, done that?

I confess I'm skeptical to this. First thing to pop into my head is that this is just another fundie trying to save souls by fitting in then sticking the hook down the throat.

Since this topic just coincidently appeared, I suppose I will give my testimony. First off, I don't expect anyone to be convinced by what I am going to say. Most likely you'll think I had some kind of psychotic break, and that's okay, so long as you think I'm crazy in a good way. My journey is actually atheism to new age to christianity, by the way

Well, I was raised secular and the subject of God was never brought up in my home. All I really knew about Christianity is what I heard on television, so my knowledge of Christianity was pretty poor at this point. In my late 20s I started to have supernatural experiences. At that point I started to believe there was a spiritual reality and I began to pursue different religions and philosophies. A few years down the road I started to experience things which led me to believe there is an all powerful God controlling everything.

On that basis I believed in the all purpose God of love you hear about the new age. I didn't know anything about Jesus at this point. It took several years of exploring basically everything that I finally read the bible. On the basis of some revelation I had received prior to reading the bible, I began to believe the bible was Gods revelation to mankind. This is when I started to seriously consider that Jesus is the Messiah. After a few years of searching that out, I became convinced that He is the Messiah, and is still alive. That's when I became a Christian.

I can imagine what any rationalist might think when reading this, because it is utterly irrational on the worlds terms. You could call it a psychotic break, or confirmation bias, or any number of things. What I can testify to is the change in my life because I am a completely different person now. I am not problem free, but, I used to be depressed and now I am happy. I used to have a lot of fear and now I am at peace. I used to be addicted to many things and now I am sober. I used to use the internet too much..and I still use the internet too much. Tongue You get the picture..

So that's my story and I am sticking to it. Smile
John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

message me if you would like prayer
(December 26, 2013 at 7:05 am)Ivy Wrote: Say someone... pfffff, any random atheist, not calling out anyone... converted to Christianity. How did this happen? Anybody else... er, I mean anybody here been there, done that?

Didnt chadwooters say he used to be an atheist
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

(December 26, 2013 at 7:24 am)agapelove Wrote:

Since this topic just coincidently appeared, I suppose I will give my testimony. First off, I don't expect anyone to be convinced by what I am going to say. Most likely you'll think I had some kind of psychotic break, and that's okay, so long as you think I'm crazy in a good way. My journey is actually atheism to new age to christianity, by the way

Well, I was raised secular and the subject of God was never brought up in my home. All I really knew about Christianity is what I heard on television, so my knowledge of Christianity was pretty poor at this point. In my late 20s I started to have supernatural experiences. At that point I started to believe there was a spiritual reality and I began to pursue different religions and philosophies. A few years down the road I started to experience things which led me to believe there is an all powerful God controlling everything.

On that basis I believed in the all purpose God of love you hear about the new age. I didn't know anything about Jesus at this point. It took several years of exploring basically everything that I finally read the bible. On the basis of some revelation I had received prior to reading the bible, I began to believe the bible was Gods revelation to mankind. This is when I started to seriously consider that Jesus is the Messiah. After a few years of searching that out, I became convinced that He is the Messiah, and is still alive. That's when I became a Christian.

I can imagine what any rationalist might think when reading this, because it is utterly irrational on the worlds terms. You could call it a psychotic break, or confirmation bias, or any number of things. What I can testify to is the change in my life because I am a completely different person now. I am not problem free, but, I used to be depressed and now I am happy. I used to have a lot of fear and now I am at peace. I used to be addicted to many things and now I am sober. I used to use the internet too much..and I still use the internet too much. Tongue You get the picture..

I take it you are still in your early 20s? Anyway, not to be cruel about it, but this sounds a lot like, "I used to be hooked on drugs, but now i'm hooked on Jesus." In time, you may recover from this unhealthy dependency as well.
You can't go forcing something if it's just not right. Green Day Argue
This reminds me of the "Say No to Drugs" campaign.

So "Say No to Jesus/Mohammad/God" campaign.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(December 26, 2013 at 8:04 am)NonXNonExX Wrote:
(December 26, 2013 at 7:24 am)agapelove Wrote: Since this topic just coincidently appeared, I suppose I will give my testimony. First off, I don't expect anyone to be convinced by what I am going to say. Most likely you'll think I had some kind of psychotic break, and that's okay, so long as you think I'm crazy in a good way. My journey is actually atheism to new age to christianity, by the way

I take it you are still in your early 20s? Anyway, not to be cruel about it, but this sounds a lot like, "I used to be hooked on drugs, but now i'm hooked on Jesus." In time, you may recover from this unhealthy dependency as well.

If so there are far worse methadone analogues! Seems a win to me.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(December 26, 2013 at 7:24 am)agapelove Wrote:

Out of curiosity (I won't try to deconvert you, promise Wink ), what sort of supernatural experiences? And what religions did you explore prior to xtianity and why were you looking for a Messiah (you said you became convinced that "Jesus is the Messiah"), many religions do not hint at a messiah.

Thinking The same way ordinary citizens join cults.
[Image: 347]
Quote:How did this happen?

I'm inclined to think a mini-stroke...or maybe a brain tumor. They can impact personality in serious ways.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 26945 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6796 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8497 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 97477 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18328 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Christianity compatible with atheism coffeeveritas 47 18561 October 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Atheism assault on Christianity josef rosenkranz 22 13671 September 25, 2008 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Alan