Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity compatible with atheism
Christianity compatible with atheism
I went to a talk last Sunday by a pretty well known Christian author who was talking about atheism. Typically this kind of talk is a platform for Christians to say some pretty stupid stuff, but this talk in particular was about what Christianity and atheism have in common, and the guy giving the talk is pretty level-headed.

He said that atheism serves a vital function because it seeks to liberate people from superstition and destroy the oppression of religion. The highest pursuit of atheism when it is at its best, he said, is truth. He also said that no dogma should stand between a person and truth.

I like that, because more often than not I think about common ground. I hear people talk about why they left the church and became an atheist and I think, "I wouldn't believe in that god either." Then there are atheists who were just never sold on any religion, more or less by default, but they are still great people, and they certainly aren't amoral.

So my question is this: What middle ground do you find with Christianity? (Or what specific form of Christianity do you appreciate?)

Are there any things in the faith you admire? Religious people you respect?
RE: Christianity compatible with atheism
I have met one or two Christians who I admire. They don't take the bible literally, and they're not right-wing nut jobs. They are deeply compassionate, loving people. That having been said, I don't think that they are like that because they are Christians. I think they'd be like that regardless of what religion, if any, they choose to follow.

There's plenty in the narrative that I can admire in and of itself. Trouble only crops up when one is told that it is absolute, authoritative, and to be taken as a whole. Love the Song of Songs, there's quotable stuff throughout really. My wife's deeply christian, so, I suppose admiration is one word I could use, respect another. She almost makes up for all the ones that I don't admire or respect all by herself. But I have a bias..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I find some middle ground with some theists, albeit narrow. When I am with a theist friend and we aren't discussing religion, I find them to be nothing more than fellow humans and enjoy their company for the most part.

My grandparents have been married for 60 years in January. They're Roman Catholics, never missing mass, and have contributed millions of dollars to the church throughout their lifetimes. They are wonderful people, and despite their dogmatic nature, I love them dearly. They are also evolutionists, and stand in opposition to the church's stance on birth control. Their faith hasn't been able to consume the entirety of their logic, and though I secretly view them as hypocrites, I also view them as victims of lifelong indoctrination. They're very old, sweet, loving, compassionate, fairly reasonable people.

Here is a picture of my Maw n Paw, and I at my college graduation. I was EXTREMELY pregnant lol, unwed, an "out" atheist, and a black sheep in our family... but they still love me very much, and will no matter what.

[Image: 260105_1877006169672_1376771124_31809399_828566_n.jpg]

I will say that my grandmother is beginning to suffer from dementia. She calls me about twice a week and cries her eyes out because "She's afraid she won't see me in heaven.". Do I try to talk her out of believing in heaven? Hell fucking NO! Besides what people think of atheists, I am an atheist with compassion. I tell her I love Jesus now. My grandfather asked me to do so for her sake, and so I do. I just remind her when she calls that I have faith again, and it really does calm her down.

RCC doesn't have a problem with evolution anymore. "Let us lift up our hearts" jingle jingle jingle....lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Respondents- We lift them up to the lord.

Priest- Let us give him thanks and praise.

Respondents- It is right to give him thanks and praise.

Drones!

Hehe

Quote:He also said that no dogma should stand between a person and truth.

Um...except his, I bet.
Quote:So my question is this: What middle ground do you find with Christianity?

"As an atheist"? NONE. I have no opinion and no position on Christianity or ANY OTHER MATTER apart from the existence of God(s).. "As an atheist" I have no interests in 'truth' (whatever that may be)

As a skeptic and secularist I have no middle ground with any religion.By definition,a religion is faith based and presuppositional. My world view is neither.

As a skeptic,neither do I seek 'truth', I merely question. I really don't know if there is any such thing as an objective transcendent truth,nor do I care. I'm quite comfy saying "I don't know" until such time as I do know.

I question the guy's clarity of thought. In an apparent attempt to put atheism into box he can understand,he ascribes a function and purpose it does not possess and tries to ascribe motivation to atheists as a group. His attitude comes across as ignorant and patronising, typical of Christain apologists. This one is perhaps a bit smarter than most we get here..

Quote:He said that atheism serves a vital function because it seeks to liberate people from superstition and destroy the oppression of religion

BULLSHIT. Atheism does not have a function. Its is simply the lack of belief. Period.

(September 29, 2011 at 11:54 pm)padraic Wrote: BULLSHIT. Atheism does not have a function. Its is simply the lack of belief. Period.

I think you meant atheism does not have it's own purpose. What function it has depends what material difference it is perceived to make in relation to the furtherance of some other purposes.

(September 29, 2011 at 10:58 pm)coffeeveritas Wrote: So my question is this: What middle ground do you find with Christianity? (Or what specific form of Christianity do you appreciate?)

Are there any things in the faith you admire? Religious people you respect?

The only form of Christianity I appreciate is the form that renounces the notion of a Christ above man, and denounces the concept of man living for the purpose of any divinity.

There is nothing in the religious notion of faith that I admire.

There are religious people I admire greatly. But each of them I would admire much more greatly still if he was to add to his admirable attributes the additional virtue of skepticism towards his religion.

Quote:I think you meant atheism does not have it's own purpose. What function it has depends what material difference it is perceived to make in relation to the furtherance of some other purposes.

I know what I meant.

A 'function' is "a mode or activity by which a thing fulfils its purpose. "(Concise Oxford Dictionary)

Atheism does not have a function.

We may need to agree to differ.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 26941 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6788 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  From atheism to Christianity? How so? Fruity 214 66069 January 6, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 97462 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18325 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  How The Hell Can The Bible Be Compatible With Evolution? Atheist Jew 33 8306 August 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Atheism assault on Christianity josef rosenkranz 22 13660 September 25, 2008 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Alan