Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo Paganism
Neo Paganism
I've always liked this religion, despite all the woo. It's got a lot of New Agey wooness about it, but aside from that, I do like some of the philosophy.

This religion is like a buffet; you can take what works for you, and leave what you don't like. For many, most of the beliefs are pretty much the same.

There's deities. Usually two--a god and goddess--or more, depending on what pantheon you want to worship. "All gods are one god, the goddesses are one goddess, and the god and goddess make up The One, who is The All, all of creation". I always thought that was interesting, and I gave it a pantheistic twist, saying they were a part of everything and us (humanity), and we are all connected. Also, particular deities were merely psychological archetypes.
There are 8 holidays. Yule (Christmas), Imbolc (Feb 2), Spring Equinox (March 21), Beltaine (May 1), Summer Solstice (June 21), Lughnassadh (sp? Aug 2), Fall Equinox (Sept 21), and Halloween. Yay, drunkenness and celebrations all year round!
Then there's witchcraft. You light a candle, say some words, do some complex shit (just google Wiccan circle casting) and you feel special about yourself because you used your "magic powers" to make some stuff happen. For a while, I told myself that there was nothing supernatural about witchcraft, it was all psychological. You wanna get over a heartbreak? Burn some dead roses. You wanna get a job? Bury a jar of coins. Making these little rituals or what have you made you feel like you were doing something (interestingly enough, every "spell book" I read always said "You can't just do a spell to find a job, you have to go the extra mile and actually find one!" Imagine that.).

So! I have all these attachments to all this, and this is just the tip of the iceberg of what Neo-Paganism is. A couple days ago, I took down my little Wiccan altar and replaced it with tea and books. I felt better coming back to my room after I put all my pagan stuff away. But....I still feel emotionally attached.

Does anyone have any recommended books, readings, articles or what have you to help me out?
RE: Neo Paganism
What?
To get past the attachment?

For paganism, the artifacts are just tools....do you still mourn the loss of your favourite pencil?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:This religion is like a buffet

True of all religions.
To be fair, I am of the opinion that the "eightfold year" is worth hanging onto. Every six weeks you have something to celebrate that has a foundation in the cyclic behaviour of the planet itself. While I may not post the celebrations here, they are still personally observed by myself. The marking of the turn of the year is something that can be comforting as you transit the woo woo of the cultural practices of Neo- Paganism.

After all is said and done... Axial tilt is the reason for the season.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 28, 2013 at 2:48 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: To be fair, I am of the opinion that the "eightfold year" is worth hanging onto. Every six weeks you have something to celebrate that has a foundation in the cyclic behaviour of the planet itself. While I may not post the celebrations here, they are still personally observed by myself. The marking of the turn of the year is something that can be comforting as you transit the woo woo of the cultural practices of Neo- Paganism.

After all is said and done... Axial tilt is the reason for the season.

Eightfold year is good. I like turning them into secular celebrations Smile

Now, as for the loss of my favorite pencil (xD), no, that's not what I was getting at. It's just stuff, easily replaceable. What I mourn the loss of, I suppose, is the community of people I felt that I belonged in.
I need new friends. Or get in touch with the ones who are atheists. I think there's a few....
Ah...

Yes that is a draw back and a wrench, leaving your "community" behind and having to make new friends.

Hehe Most of my "celebrations" involve a Spa-bath, lots of alcohol and good food.There are a few that involve friends and family in there as well.
I'm a Satanist, which is at least as pagan as the "neopagan" new age woo. The difference is Satanists aren't pretentious & don't pretend like what we are doing is an "authentic" pagan ceremony.
(December 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm)MarxRaptor Wrote: I'm a Satanist, which is at least as pagan as the "neopagan" new age woo. The difference is Satanists aren't pretentious & don't pretend like what we are doing is an "authentic" pagan ceremony.

Yes dear. And your belief system is special too...... er....based on what?
Laveyan Satanists are Atheists.

Wiccans are not given to claims of authenticity. They know it was invented by Gerald Gardner in the 20s.

Wiccans are generally fat girls who like Cats. Harmless really.
(December 29, 2013 at 1:49 am)là bạn điên Wrote: Laveyan Satanists are Atheists.

Wiccans are not given to claims of authenticity. They know it was invented by Gerald Gardner in the 20s.

Wiccans are generally fat girls who like Cats. Harmless really.

You're correct about Satanists. Off about Wiccans.
Wicca was invented by Gerald Gardner in the 1950's, not 20's. He brought it over to the US later. Some of their stuff is based off of older traditions and whatnot, but I'm also pretty sure they pulled most of the stuff they do out of their ass.
As for Wiccans being fat girls who like cats? Please. I know 5, and three of them--myself included--are skinny as hell ;P (okay so I'm not Wiccan anymore, but it still applies!)

(December 29, 2013 at 1:40 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(December 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm)MarxRaptor Wrote: I'm a Satanist, which is at least as pagan as the "neopagan" new age woo. The difference is Satanists aren't pretentious & don't pretend like what we are doing is an "authentic" pagan ceremony.

Yes dear. And your belief system is special too...... er....based on what?

I have a friend who's a Laveyan Satanist. She's nice. They're basically atheists with a dark side, lol.

I like your "celebration" ideas! ;D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb [Serious] Opinions on paganism? Methamphetamine 73 4208 November 9, 2023 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Paganism vs. Monotheism uniquepegasister 27 11067 August 13, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Hitler's Priestess: Savitri Devi, the Hindu-Aryan Myth, and Neo-Nazism theyear12013 2 3325 December 30, 2013 at 7:58 am
Last Post: theyear12013