Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[Serious] Opinions on paganism?
Lightbulb 
Opinions on paganism?
What are your opinions on paganism and connecting with the nature? Also do you think a pagan is an atheist or no?  Cool
A little bit of Monica in my life
A little bit of Erica by my side
A little bit of Rita's all I need
RE: Opinions on paganism?
Some pagans are atheists, but most believe in divine beings.
Some pagans are physicalists/materialists but most believe in the supernatural.

I think belief in either deities or the supernatural is most likely erroneous, and that is an issue for me. I'd be more sympathetic towards agnostic or atheistic paganism.

Other than that, the term 'paganism' is very broad and can encompass a huge range of beliefs/ religions which can vary enormously in detail. Some branches have ethical issues which bother me, like the neo-nazi connections of certain kinds of wodenism, or those forms that have animal sacrifice or whatever.
(August 17, 2023 at 5:34 am)Methamphetamine Wrote: What are your opinions on paganism and connecting with the nature? Also do you think a pagan is an atheist or no?  Cool

These are difficult questions, as the term 'pagan' is tricky to define. It is possible to connect with nature without being a pagan. Most classical and modern pagans were/are religionists, but it's still possible to be an atheistic pagan.

Boru

edit: Yeah, what FF said. Smile
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If they believe in spirits etc, I see them as woo merchants. Otherwise, yeah, being in touch with, and in awe of, nature is a normal and yet sublime feeling.

Paganism seems to me to refer to all practices that posits the existence of some interventionist supernatural forces, but which do not accept the supremacy of the doctrines of dominant monotheistic imperial religion or their kin in things pertaining to these supernatural forces.

There is by definition no connection between the supernatural and the natural, even if the former advertises itself as the veneration of the latter.
(August 17, 2023 at 5:34 am)Methamphetamine Wrote: What are your opinions on paganism and connecting with the nature? Also do you think a pagan is an atheist or no?  Cool

Some are, some aren't..like others have said.  Absent dogmatic or scriptural baggage and with a hefty focus on individual expression, the only thing common to nearly all pagans are a set of distinctly life affirming values.   There are "traditional" systems for genuine™ theists, wicca (and suchlike) in the middle as a bridge, and a religion of nature on the other end for committed atheists.  Contemporary pagan religions don't have much to do with gods even when gods are present, so it's hard to find a nominal pagan compared to finding a nominal christian.  It's easy to find a christian that doesn't believe in christ.  Tad bit harder to find a pagan that doesn't believe in nature.  

There are more pagans in the us than presbyterians, almost all of them millennials.  In a few years time, expect an(other) exponential increase in pagan demographics as the children of pagans grow up to be pagans themselves.  The big spikes came in the 50/60s.  90/00's.  There'll be another census in 2030.  I wouldn't be surprised to see paganism become the single largest religion in the nat citizen demo, in the us, by that time or shortly thereafter.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 17, 2023 at 1:16 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Paganism seems to me to refer to all practices that posits the existence of some interventionist supernatural forces, but which do not accept the supremacy of the doctrines of dominant monotheistic imperial religion or their kin in things pertaining to these supernatural forces.

There is by definition no connection between the supernatural and the natural, even if the former advertises itself as the veneration of the latter.

Some varieties of paganism don’t require interventionist supernatural forces, but view the non-natural world as existing side-by-side with the natural one (the pages of a book analogy). In these views, supernatural forces are not interventionist, but immanent. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 17, 2023 at 1:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 17, 2023 at 1:16 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Paganism seems to me to refer to all practices that posits the existence of some interventionist supernatural forces, but which do not accept the supremacy of the doctrines of dominant monotheistic imperial religion or their kin in things pertaining to these supernatural forces.

Some varieties of paganism don’t require interventionist supernatural forces, but view the non-natural world as existing side-by-side with the natural one (the pages of a book analogy). In these views, supernatural forces are not interventionist, but immanent. 

Boru
Even more to the point, nature intervenes, and the sacred is immanent. Gods, even for those who believe in them, tend not to be supernatural. A god isn't over nature or in nature and beyond nature. It -is- nature. When a god blows, that's the wind at work.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I identified as pagan for a brief period of my youth. It's certainly preferable to most belief systems, but in the end it's still just nonsense.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 17, 2023 at 1:43 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(August 17, 2023 at 1:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Some varieties of paganism don’t require interventionist supernatural forces, but view the non-natural world as existing side-by-side with the natural one (the pages of a book analogy). In these views, supernatural forces are not interventionist, but immanent. 

Boru
Even more to the point, nature intervenes, and the sacred is immanent.  Gods, even for those who believe in them, tend not to be supernatural.  A god isn't over nature or in nature and beyond nature.  It -is- nature.  When a god blows, that's the wind at work.

Exactly. A tree doesn’t grow because it gets magicked into doing so. A tree grows because it is magic.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paganism vs. Monotheism uniquepegasister 27 11071 August 13, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Neo Paganism LalalaTabby 88 15033 March 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Your Opinions On The Hindu Milk Miracle. CoolBoy 6 6581 July 17, 2010 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Zen Badger