Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down on my luck and still godless.
Down on my luck and still godless.
Ok, after 7 years of busting my ass and doing more than my share. 3 years ago after the place was bought by a new owner, I knew the end would come eventually.

How did I know? The very first meeting when the new owner introduced himself he said "Nothing is going to change", but followed it up with "I want several of these", meaning he wanted to xerox the mom and pop shop and turn it into a greedy corporation like Wall Mart.

So I knew I was fucked at that point and sure enough, my hours got gutted, he kept hiring new people instead of when someone left giving more hours to the people already there, even long term people, not just me.

So I got canned last week for refusing to take on other tasks knowing I got more done staying where I was at. The prior owners gave me 2 raises without being asked nor did they expect me to do anything differently.

Now I am out of a job and do not know at this time of year in a resort town when I will find another job. I won't say that it is not frightening. But I have also been through much more frightening things such as seeing my mother go through health problems.

It bothers the fuck out of me when I hear people talk about needing god to get through tough times as if non believers are not capable of doing the same without sucking up to a deity.

I am not sure where I will end up, things might get worse before they get better. But the truth for all humans is that there is no utopia, your life is never all good all the time or all bad all the time. Some individuals and or societies have it better and or worse than others, but for all of our species evolution it has always been BOTH up and down and ultimately death finds both those on top and those not so lucky.

I am facing this hard time without a fantasy or wishful thinking. I am going to simply go look for another job. Neither Thor or Allah or Vishnu or Jesus is going to do that for me. It will require some luck in the owner where I apply to see something of value in my history, but other than that I have to put in the countless attempts to land that one job.

I am jobless because of conflict of views, ego, testosterone and personality. I never thought once they'd go under without me. But I was not about to devalue what I did there and change anything I did because of the owners greed. I do not regret one bit my defiance. I cannot go work unhappy and merely being someone's tool. Yes, I got fired for not doing what the manager said.

The fear of punishment is what keeps believers in place. This is the lack of fear that I have in god belief and even on the job. I may not have a job, but that is nothing compared to the emotional stress of having to live under threat of others. Survival is not simply conformity and fear is a sick way of creating conformity.

Did I deserve to get fired? Wrong question because that depends on point of view. I was simply at a point where my dignity and self worth would not allow them to bully me into being a doormat.

It is insulting to me when believers think that their suffering is special and that if an atheist suffers it is because they don't believe, and when a theist suffers it is simply because they are flawed. No, humans suffer because suffering is part of reality having nothing to do with the mental crutches humans invent to create false hope.
RE: Down on my luck and still godless.
That's fucked up...
Hang in there and keep your head up. Jobs exist.
The old owners were there every day. He showed what a liar he was early on besides that meeting. At first he was there several days a week, even said he was going to learn to cook and work in the kitchen. I am sure as soon as he realized "I don't have to do shit", and saw how hard it was, decided it wasn't for him. Now he only comes in once or twice a week, and just like big corporations, barks orders hardly ever being there himself.

We are tools to him and that is merely his ATM. If someone doesn't like dealing with humans then they should invest in vending machines.

I hate that I had to leave co workers I love, but I'd rather be jobless than work for bullies and liars.
(January 3, 2014 at 8:28 am)Brian37 Wrote: I hate that I had to leave co workers I love, but I'd rather be jobless than work for bullies and liars.

Yup exactly, I feel the same. If the boss is an asshole I would actively look for another job and quite ASAP, it's really difficult to work for someone who's not considerate about your pay and the work you put in.

You will find something, Smile.

Maybe you could spend a day per week volunteering at a free food place or something, you might meet people who know about job vacancies in the food industry.
Quote:it's really difficult to work for someone who's not considerate about your pay and the work you put in.

Sadly that is the name of the game with these corporate pricks. I'm sure any moment now someone will be by to explain the marvels of unregulated capitalism.
(January 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:it's really difficult to work for someone who's not considerate about your pay and the work you put in.

Sadly that is the name of the game with these corporate pricks. I'm sure any moment now someone will be by to explain the marvels of unregulated capitalism.

It won't be me. Big Grin

Brian, hopefully you'll find a decent employer. I've worked for all types from caring people you could respect to insufferable tools. There's good ones out there still.
What we have now is not capitalism, is it a Jewish usury system.

What we need is a honest "productive enterprise" system free of a usury and all for profit system. We need quality items, not quantity of junk, we need innovative products that help the common man, not crappy shotty products that create the maximum profit. Profit should be the by-product of created and manufacturing a product people can use and will last.
(January 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm)paintpooper Wrote: What we have now is not capitalism, is it a Jewish usury system.

What we need is a honest "productive enterprise" system free of a usury and all for profit system. We need quality items, not quantity of junk, we need innovative products that help the common man, not crappy shotty products that create the maximum profit. Profit should be the by-product of created and manufacturing a product people can use and will last.
So I take it you are a far-right populist? I'm also going to guess that you are reading Rockwell for more than just research purposes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2166 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1205 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 614 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Statistical Improbability (Just My Luck) wolf39us 113 5040 July 16, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1078 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 367 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Cats Will Not Take This Lying Down Minimalist 81 9275 September 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Shut Everything Down - Barack Obama Just Won The Internet BrianSoddingBoru4 30 2671 August 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  First World problems getting you down? We're here for support. ignoramus 68 7339 June 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2387 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr