Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you call a non follower of neither atheism or theism
What do you call a non follower of neither atheism or theism
That's basically me Wink
Reason: Don't want to be a slave (Unleashes the chains)
RE: What do you call a non follower of neither atheism or theism
You don't follow either.They are the two possible options when it comes to beliefs on the following claim "a God exists".

1) You believe the claim. - You are a Theist.
2) You disbelieve the claim. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU BELIEVE THE OPPOSITE, although you may. You are an Atheist.

There is also the statement "no God exists". This is a different claim, which you may believe or disbelieve. You can disbelieve both claims!

A good analogy is a coin toss. The equivalent of the Atheist/Theist claim is "the coin will show Heads". Unless you have good evidence, the natural thing to do is disbelieve this claim. Again, this does not mean you must believe the claim "the coin will show Tails". The rational thing to do in this case is disbelieve both claims.
(January 13, 2014 at 6:08 am)FreeTony Wrote: You don't follow either.They are the two possible options when it comes to beliefs on the following claim "a God exists".

1) You believe the claim. - You are a Theist.
2) You disbelieve the claim. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU BELIEVE THE OPPOSITE, although you may. You are an Atheist.

There is also the statement "no God exists". This is a different claim, which you may believe or disbelieve. You can disbelieve both claims!

A good analogy is a coin toss. The equivalent of the Atheist/Theist claim is "the coin will show Heads". Unless you have good evidence, the natural thing to do is disbelieve this claim. Again, this does not mean you must believe the claim "the coin will show Tails". The rational thing to do in this case is disbelieve both claims.

So for me, it will likely be like the coin just disappeared for me then, because i have belief in myself. I am neither a follower of Theism or Atheism.

Because i have a name to be proud off. But its cool if people choose their own way in life Smile
(January 13, 2014 at 6:11 am)Rinnard Wrote: So for me, it will likely be like the coin just disappeared for me then, because i have belief in myself. I am neither a follower of Theism or Atheism.

Well, the point of that analogy just flew right over your head. Dodgy

Again, there's nothing to "follow" in atheism; it's merely the position that you don't believe theist claims. Don't believe that there's a god?

Congrats: you're an atheist.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Do you believe a God exists?
(January 13, 2014 at 6:23 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(January 13, 2014 at 6:11 am)Rinnard Wrote: So for me, it will likely be like the coin just disappeared for me then, because i have belief in myself. I am neither a follower of Theism or Atheism.

Well, the point of that analogy just flew right over your head. Dodgy

Again, there's nothing to "follow" in atheism; it's merely the position that you don't believe theist claims. Don't believe that there's a god?

Congrats: you're an atheist.

I just don't want it as a label, its identity theft, i love my name Big Grin
Just as i love each of the names and meanings of others Smile

Besides i feel like i am being recruited to join something, so i can't Big Grin

No but it sounds cool Big Grin
I am my own person Wink
I believe in the truth.
(January 13, 2014 at 6:25 am)Rinnard Wrote: I just don't want it as a label, its identity theft, i love my name Big Grin
Just as i love each of the names and meanings of others Smile

Sure, I get that, but you understand that we use words to describe people, beyond just their names, right?

Frankly, this A/Theism thing is merely a label that describes your position on this single issue, and as such is a part of a much larger description of what makes you, you.

If you don't want to use the word, whatever. I ain't gonna force it on you. But we do use it for a reason.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 13, 2014 at 5:10 am)Rinnard Wrote: That's basically me Wink
Reason: Don't want to be a slave (Unleashes the chains)

"Special," "Unique," "One-of-a-Kind."
(January 13, 2014 at 6:31 am)Esquilax Wrote: If you don't want to use the word, whatever. I ain't gonna force it on you. But we do use it for a reason.

It avoids painful conversations, as this is turning into Smile.
Well there's always Agnostic if you're really not sure.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3107 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1867 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2064 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1854 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2006 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1504 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25286 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13151 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2874 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris