Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Essential Quantum Mechanics
The Essential Quantum Mechanics
Just published another blog called The Essential Quantum Mechanics. There's a lot of dry stuff - mathematical definitions, theorems, etc. - but if you are patient enough you will find it gratifying in seeing how the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle arises from that mathematical formalism, one of the greatest accomplishment of the human mind ever.

Comments will be appreciated.
RE: The Essential Quantum Mechanics
Ah, you introduce the heisenberg relation via the representations on wave functions, that's a good pedagogical way to do it!

If you intend to discuss the actual uncertainty relation \Delta x \Delta p later, it might be nice to just do a heuristic discussion of what fourier transforms of wave packets look like, in keeping with your formalism.
RE: The Essential Quantum Mechanics
(February 21, 2014 at 9:21 am)Alex K Wrote: Ah, you introduce the heisenberg relation via the representations on wave functions, that's a good pedagogical way to do it!

If you intend to discuss the actual uncertainty relation \Delta x \Delta p later, it might be nice to just do a heuristic discussion of what fourier transforms of wave packets look like, in keeping with your formalism.

To do justice, that would require another blog, as this forum is not friendly to writing equations. However, my time is tied for the moment as I'm writing my next blog on QFT in curved space-time. But on wave packets, wikipedia has a decent page. Try it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_packet .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orbital mechanics onlinebiker 7 481 December 1, 2020 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3720 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Doesn't Quantam Mechanics Prove God? quantumleap 24 1883 June 27, 2019 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2806 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1848 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2728 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2953 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Question about Quantum Eraser bennyboy 28 4193 September 4, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why Does Quantum Physics Make Scientistss Uncomfortable? Rhondazvous 12 2384 August 12, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning TubbyTubby 8 2357 March 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Alex K