Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity
A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity
This is so simple, I’m sure others have thought of it. So, it’s only relatively original. All you need is a piece of paper, some scissors, and a pen or pencil.

1. Cut the paper into a perfect circle. You can do this easily by folding the paper and cutting it in half a circle.
2. Find the exact center of the circle and place a dot there.
3. Two inches from the center place another dot.
4. In line with the first two dots, place another dot four inches from the center.
Distances don’t matter, but to make things simple and ease your observation, keep your dots in one line along one radius from the center to the circumference of your circle.

Now rotate your circle using the center dot as your axis. Note, this is one solid piece of paper so it’s all moving at the same speed. Yet while the center dot stays in place, the second dot my move an inch and the third dot may move two inches.

How can this be? how can objects moving at the same speed, for the same duration of time, move different distances?

Once you grasp the basic concept you can experiment with different distances using triangulation and epicurean mathematics to make calculations and satisfy your own curiosity.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity
I prefer the pretty girl/hot stove analogy (not that there's anything wrong with yours).

If I'm talking to a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.  If I sit on a hot stove for a minute, it seems like an hour.  THAT'S relativity.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thats not relativity you demonstrated. You demonstrated that angular speed is not equal to linear speed. All dots on your paper have the same angular speed (depending on the rotational speed of your paper), but only dots at the same distance of the center have same linear speed. Dots more distant from the center DO move quicker.

If you want to demonstrate relativity you either need waaaaay bigger speeds or waaaaay bigger distances due to c.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(August 14, 2019 at 9:46 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: This is so simple, I’m sure others have thought of it. So, it’s only relatively original.  All you need is a piece of paper, some scissors, and a pen or pencil.

1. Cut the paper into a perfect circle. You can do this easily by folding the paper and cutting it in half a circle.
4. In line with the first two dots, place another dot four inches from the center.
Distances don’t matter, but to make things simple and ease your observation, keep your dots in one line along one radius from the center to the circumference of your circle.

Now rotate your circle using the center dot as your axis. Note, this is one solid piece of paper so it’s all moving at the same speed. Yet while the center dot stays in place, the second dot my move an inch and the third dot may move two inches.

How can this be? how can objects moving at the same speed, for the same duration of time, move different distances?

Once you  grasp the basic concept you can experiment with different distances using triangulation and epicurean mathematics to make calculations and satisfy your own curiosity.

That is not relativity, its just circular motion. Curvilineous motion, that circular motion is a particular case. Has linear speed and rotation as vector components.

It is not only in speed. Imagine changing a car tire. If you have a long arm on the wrench, ( is that the proper english name for the tool? ) you require less force to unscrew the bolt. I believe this force is called torque, IIRC.
(August 14, 2019 at 12:17 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(August 14, 2019 at 9:46 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: This is so simple, I’m sure others have thought of it. So, it’s only relatively original.  All you need is a piece of paper, some scissors, and a pen or pencil.

Once you  grasp the basic concept you can experiment with different distances using triangulation and epicurean mathematics to make calculations and satisfy your own curiosity.

That is not relativity, its just circular motion. Curvilineous motion, that circular motion is a particular case. Has linear speed and rotation as vector components.

It is not only in speed. Imagine changing a car tire. If you have a long  arm on the wrench, ( is that the proper english name for the tool? )  you require less force to unscrew the bolt. I believe this force is called torque, IIRC.

wrench, torque, correct.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

As others have said when things are spinning the speed is measured in radians/sec not a distance per second.  So all points on the disk have the same radial speed.  As the points go further out from the center they have to travel a longer distance to keep up but they are still going the same radians/second (radial speed) as every other point.

You concept of speed as it applies to a point rotating about a center is not accurate.    

The speed of an dot revolving around a point is equal to (distance between the dot and center of rotation) X (rate of rotation in Radians per second)

So a object revolving around a center at the same rate about but twice as far from the center will experience speed twice as fast.   As a result, it will cover twice the circular distance in the same amount of time.

To exhibit relativistic effect that would reduce apparent rate of time progression by half,  the object would have to travel at about 93% speed of light relative to you, or about 2/3 the distance to the moon each second.

In addition, if that were to occur,  the object will not appear to you to be moving slower in your frame of reference.   it will still appear to you to be covering the same distance over the same time as you would expect from its speed.   The relativistic effect you will see is the object will appear to shorten, and things happening on the object will appear to happen at slower rate.
Special relativity is hard to visualize and observe. But it's not impossible. Get yourself a couple atomic clocks--one you leave at home and the other you take on a plane trip. Fly around a while, and bring your atomic clock back to the one you left home to compare the clocks. Voila! Time dilation. OK...not so easy to do without the right equipment.
Then there's relatve humidity - defined in Arkansas as when the sweat off your balls drips down the crack of your sister in law's ass....

Tut Tut
(August 14, 2019 at 12:32 pm)Vince Wrote:

As others have said when things are spinning the speed is measured in radians/sec not a distance per second.  So all points on the disk have the same radial speed.  As the points go further out from the center they have to travel a longer distance to keep up but they are still going the same radians/second (radial speed) as every other point.

And is there no connection between radial speed and time dilation?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2234 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 506 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7183 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6943 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  A citizen scientist validates General Relativity. Jehanne 24 2874 March 3, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9868 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1725 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1850 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved? Rhondazvous 33 11299 June 16, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Which space mission would you choose? Fake Messiah 30 2607 March 29, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris