Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question that destroyes atheism, apparently.
A question that destroyes atheism, apparently.
So I watched thunderfoots newest part to his why people laugh and creationists series and happened upon a youtube user called once forgiven now free that issued this challenge to atheists.

In the answer is no, our brains are not intelligently designed, they are a evolutionary design. In humans evolution select for a number of intelligence traits such, environmental perception, deductive reasoning, complex planing, social interaction and risk assessment. Hence we cannot always trust conclusion made in our own minds, thus we have to be skeptics in order to even attempt to reach the true conclusion. And as skeptics we are forced to look for evidence that can be independently, veritably tested and even then because we have fallible brains we do not take anything as 100% certain.
The reason this works against Christianity is because Christianity has yet to put forward independently verifiable evidence. Thus because our brains are fallible we can trust people when they say the conclusion of Christianity or any religion is accurate.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: A question that destroyes atheism, apparently.
This is simply a re-hash of Paley's 'watchmaker' argument, long discredited.

But the fella completely misses the point - if our brains were intelligently designed, we would all think the same way and would worship the Designer. Based on the assumption that the Designer wants worship, of course.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Since all the evidence shows that our brains are the product of evolution his argument fails.
I would also point out that if the brain is the product of intelligent design the designer did a shit job.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
This guy is an idiot...
Here's his follow up video:

There's so much wrong with what he says that I can't even... ARGHH
Some of it has already been addressed by lemon...

Then he goes on to evolution as a means of "survival, instead of truth"... less than one minute later, he says "if evolution selects for true beliefs".. blah blah... Am I the only one who sees the deception here?
Couldn't keep up with the rest of it, as I kept thinking back to this.... but it all sounded like BS.
"my worldview explains everything, yours does not, derp"!
The thing to remember is that when theists talk, their convoluted world view has convinced themselves this is what they hear:

http://youtu.be/W-fFHeTX70Q

In reality, this is what is actually coming out of their mouths:

http://youtu.be/QGM95WPC8UU
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 25, 2014 at 8:09 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: The thing to remember is that when theists talk, their convoluted world view has convinced themselves this is what they hear:

http://youtu.be/W-fFHeTX70Q

In reality, this is what is actually coming out of their mouths:

http://youtu.be/QGM95WPC8UU

I see your point, but Charlie Chaplin was both intelligent and funny.

(January 25, 2014 at 7:56 pm)pocaracas Wrote: This guy is an idiot...
Here's his follow up video:

There's so much wrong with what he says that I can't even... ARGHH
Some of it has already been addressed by lemon...

Then he goes on to evolution as a means of "survival, instead of truth"... less than one minute later, he says "if evolution selects for true beliefs".. blah blah... Am I the only one who sees the deception here?
Couldn't keep up with the rest of it, as I kept thinking back to this.... but it all sounded like BS.
"my worldview explains everything, yours does not, derp"!

He also seems to be telling that I must believe in scientific determinism, Which I don't because I understand the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Regarding his point on evolution selecting for surivival instead of truth, yes that is correct, however there are plenty of cases where untrue beliefs will affect survival dramatically, like for instance in the case of Kara Neuman http://content.time.com/time/nation/arti...52,00.html
So in short yes we can trust our thoughts when we have corresponding evidence which christianity lacks.
Signifying nothing.
This is Alvin Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism, yeah?
Isn't this basically just the brain in the vat problem? For all the christian knows, God could have maliciously designed our brains so as to believe false things and reject true things. Same problem.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Answer: None of the above.

This is what's known as the argument from reason (aka the argument from rationality). The argument in a nutshell asks, if our brains are the result of a non-rational process, how can we have reliable, rational reasoning.

C.S. Lewis is known for the argument, though others like Plantinga have tossed it around. It's a favorite chestnut, especially with presuppositionalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_reason

http://www.asktheatheists.com/questions/...om-reason/

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
On a side note, I noticed he is wearing a pink floyd shirt. Dave Gilmore and Roger Waters are both atheists.
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apparently yo ucan be poosessed via cyberspace...wtf ReptilianPeon 14 3868 November 20, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10792 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Science is just testemony apparently? How would you respond? ReptilianPeon 17 5089 July 4, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  A particularly annoying exchange: Apparently the Christian God now includes a... Rampant.A.I. 14 2658 July 22, 2014 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Apparently, God Said "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 32 11169 August 24, 2013 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  So christian's beleive in evolution. Apparently. JohnDG 6 3213 February 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah