Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dangerous Side of Evolutionary Change...
The Dangerous Side of Evolutionary Change...
and no...it isn't that it keeps fundie morons awake at night!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...193741.htm

Quote:An international team of scientists has discovered that two of the world's most devastating plagues - the plague of Justinian and the Black Death, each responsible for killing as many as half the people in Europe -- were caused by distinct strains of the same pathogen, one that faded out on its own, the other leading to worldwide spread and re-emergence in the late 1800s. These findings suggest a new strain of plague could emerge again in humans in the future.
RE: The Dangerous Side of Evolutionary Change...
That's some seriously scary shit.
It's also possible that it could reemerge in a form that's far less deadly. In fact, I think that's actually pretty likely. Evolutionarly speaking, pathogens that are most successful aren't the ones that kill the most people; they're the ones who are spread quietly with little to no symptoms.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Who is to state that HIV/AIDS is not already a form of that plague? Look at how many people it has and still is killing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
See the movie "Contagion" for an interesting take on how such a plague would spread.
Theoretically I find this exciting and interesting. Hopefully though, such a finding would lead to research for hopefully stopping another deadly strand coming into existence.
(January 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: It's also possible that it could reemerge in a form that's far less deadly. In fact, I think that's actually pretty likely. Evolutionarly speaking, pathogens that are most successful aren't the ones that kill the most people; they're the ones who are spread quietly with little to no symptoms.

That's the coin flip, Tara. Yes. It could be less deadly or more deadly and we won't know until it happens.

Far worse though is that unlike in Justinian's time or the Black Death's time, we now have a marvelously developed international air travel web to spread diseases far more quickly.
Medicine has evolved to the point that it wouldn't elevate to those levels though, right? I mean it seems like every couple years there's a new pandemic that's going to wipe us out, but it always falls short. Sars, West nile, mad cow, H1N1, blah blah blah.
(January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(January 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: It's also possible that it could reemerge in a form that's far less deadly. In fact, I think that's actually pretty likely. Evolutionarly speaking, pathogens that are most successful aren't the ones that kill the most people; they're the ones who are spread quietly with little to no symptoms.

That's the coin flip, Tara. Yes. It could be less deadly or more deadly and we won't know until it happens.

Far worse though is that unlike in Justinian's time or the Black Death's time, we now have a marvelously developed international air travel web to spread diseases far more quickly.

On the other hand, we have better public health knowledge and systems - sanitation, isolation, diet, etc. that help contain the spread of diseases.

Might be a wash.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Quote:Medicine has evolved to the point that it wouldn't elevate to those levels though, right?

Unless the drug companies try to make big profits on the cures, though.

I don't trust the bastards....do you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 10606 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 361 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Evolutionary fine tuning ... ignoramus 10 1221 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Russia Declares Homeopathy "dangerous 'pseudoscience' that does not work" FatAndFaithless 58 14460 February 12, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Evolutionary Tree RoadRunner79 165 23518 September 8, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  When Jesus-Shit Gets Dangerous Minimalist 10 2982 May 16, 2016 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  "How to Change Someone's Mind" Wash. Post. article drfuzzy 0 832 February 25, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1023 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sex Change Fake Messiah 6 1887 December 12, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Evolutionary Science Grinds On... Minimalist 19 4999 March 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam