Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spiritual enlightenment
Spiritual enlightenment
Does anybody here have a clue what spiritual enlightenment means?

And I don't mean the New Age version of it that seems to imply that you can acquire a cosmic feeling of oneness with the universe by buying all sorts of stuff, from frankincense, calligraphy sets and little mini garden to mystic little books with incomprehensible texts. I mean the real thing, ultimate truth, freed from any emotional attachment.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
RE: Spiritual enlightenment
(November 29, 2009 at 3:02 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Does anybody here have a clue what spiritual enlightenment means?
I seriously doubt whether the phrase has any real meaning.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
Purple Rabbit Wrote:I mean the real thing, ultimate truth, freed from any emotional attachment.
- I thought that pretty much is what it means?

And infinite wisdom? Stuff like what the Buddha was supposed to reach?

I don't know really.

EvF
(November 29, 2009 at 3:40 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
Purple Rabbit Wrote:I mean the real thing, ultimate truth, freed from any emotional attachment.
- I thought that pretty much is what it means?
But ultimate truth can mean anything. Ultimate truth about what? All? Or something in particular?
(November 29, 2009 at 3:36 pm)Pope Alfred Wrote:
(November 29, 2009 at 3:02 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Does anybody here have a clue what spiritual enlightenment means?
I seriously doubt whether the phrase has any real meaning.
You should doubt that. But have you made a real assessment? I mean you could be missing out on something really important.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Ultimate truth about everything, I would have thought. I think that's what 'enlightenment' is supposed to be about. It's supposed to be all-encompassing, I reckon.

EvF
"Spiritual Enlightenment and Spiritual Awakening is the primary goal of almost all spiritual practices, traditions and religions and for any spiritual seeker. There are many names for this awakened state of Consciousness depending on what culture and tradition we belong to."

"A higher state of consciousness in which the person seems to transcend his or her ego, and becomes aware of his/her divinity, and that he/she is one with God"
The concept can also be without God - with a capital 'G' - though, I would think?

Isn't there also spiritual enlightenment in Buddhism, for instance? Or something like the concept of... nirvana?

EvF
Yep... substitute 'universe/ nature/ everything/ consciousness'
I said: 'I seriously doubt whether the phrase has any real meaning'.
Purple Rabbit Wrote:You should doubt that. But have you made a real assessment? I mean you could be missing out on something really important.
I've thought about it from time to time but have never felt the need for it. I have never believed it possible to reach by mysticsm what I can't find by rational thought.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
From the little I've read on the subject, it seems that things start getting "spooky" after periods of fasting. People might experience something, and call it "spiritual enlightenment, but maybe it's just a natural reaction to low sugar levels in the blood.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3666 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Enlightenment with the God Azu 22 5147 December 24, 2017 at 7:03 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67606 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17734 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
Wink Atheism based on evidence, offers spiritual fulfillment Nobody 11 4944 March 2, 2013 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Spiritual experiences? CapnAwesome 13 4397 November 17, 2012 at 10:46 am
Last Post: mr.atheist
  “If ideas exist and are not material than a non-material/spiritual world may also exi rybak303 5 2311 August 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels