Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Spiritual experiences?
Spiritual experiences?
I can only speak for myself, but in my life I have never had a spiritual experience. I have never had a spiritual feeling of any kind. In fact I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about having spiritual experiences. The explanations given to me always tend towards vagueness, the kind of vagueness that instantly throws up my bullshit detector.

"You just can't describe it." To me this sounds a mighty lot like "It doesn't exist."

However I can't discount the possibility that such experiences do exist, mostly based on the changes in spirituality or religious feeling often associated with LSD usage, or temporal lobe epilepsy. Some change in the brain happens and people suddenly believe. Is my brain different? Do I lack something others have, or have something others lack? Are people just making it up in mass? Have any of you had a spiritual experience?
RE: Spiritual experiences?
(November 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: "You just can't describe it." To me this sounds a mighty lot like "It doesn't exist."

Not only that, but it smells an awful lot like bullshit.

Mind your step.

P.S. No, I can't say that I've had a spiritual experience.
I felt deeply impressed with the phrase, "You've tried everything that you thought would make you happy, but you've never tried me," while I was recovering one morning in my girlfriends kitchen from another night of being obliterated...I knew what it meant.

I went out and bought a cheap Bible that didn't look like a Bible (I didn't want to let anyone know I was reading a Bible) and started reading. I wanted to give it an honest shot so I could say, "I've tried that and it didn't work."

I read Genesis and I discovered that the "starting line up" of God's "heroes" were horrible. I figured if God can use them, I still had a chance. Then I read Romans. When I started the book I was an unbeliever, by the time I had finished it I had given my life to Jesus and told him, "I don't want to stop having sex with my girlfriend, I don't want to stop being a pot head or stop drinking, but if you can use me then my life is yours."

After that moment the Lord began to change my desires so that I no longer wanted to be drunk or high...the "thrills" I used to love paled in comparison to the thrill of loving Jesus.

I wrote about how Jesus satisfies more than other pursuits here - http://morethanmorality.blogspot.com/201...verer.html
(November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: I don't want to stop having sex with my girlfriend
Me neither.
(November 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote:
(November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: I don't want to stop having sex with my girlfriend
Me neither.

I don't want to stop having sex with either of your girlfriends.
(November 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't want to stop having sex with either of your girlfriends.
What's mine is yours... and since my girlfriend is the very same girlfriend of Jeff, what's his is yours.
(November 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote:
(November 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't want to stop having sex with either of your girlfriends.
What's mine is yours... and since my girlfriend is the very same girlfriend of Jeff, what's his is yours.

Any further comment by me along these lines would be in extremely poor taste, moreso than my prior comments - so I'll just leave it at that.

Angel
(November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: I read Genesis and I discovered that the "starting line up" of God's "heroes" were horrible. I figured if God can use them, I still had a chance. Then I read Romans. When I started the book I was an unbeliever, by the time I had finished it I had given my life to Jesus and told him, "I don't want to stop having sex with my girlfriend, I don't want to stop being a pot head or stop drinking, but if you can use me then my life is yours."

Weird, I've only heard of it working in reverse.

(November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: After that moment the Lord began to change my desires so that I no longer wanted to be drunk or high...the "thrills" I used to love paled in comparison to the thrill of loving Jesus.

Addictions go away naturally after a while (especially drug related ones).

As for 'spiritual experiences', the only thing I've gotten is a feeling of purification after confession. However, I got a stronger feeling than the ones at church when dark knight Cecil from Final Fantasy IV became a paladin. I had convinced myself beforehand that confession would purify my soul, and that translated into an actual feeling. With the game, I didn't know it was going to happen, and it was someone else being purified, so that just goes to show that people can trick themselves into believeing anything, and even having physical feelings to accompany it. ("mind over matter")
Quote:Then I read Romans.

Odd. I read "The Bible Unearthed" and concluded that the whole basis of judaism, xtiantiy and islam was total bullshit.

The difference being that The Bible Unearthed actually has evidence to back up its conclusions.
Posted before in another related thread...(fuck xtians go round and round in circles! Angry

Is this your brain on god?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3660 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17188 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4435 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67602 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Childhood Experiences with atheists? TrueChristian 20 3233 January 5, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17730 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Are you open to religious experiences? Strider 30 5428 December 18, 2014 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Experiences I still can't explain YET BrokenQuill92 37 7883 February 6, 2014 at 9:48 am
Last Post: kirolo
Wink Atheism based on evidence, offers spiritual fulfillment Nobody 11 4944 March 2, 2013 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Esquilax