Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Would You See?
Which Would You See?
I've got two different ideas for screenplays swirling around in my head right now. I don't know which one I want to actually commit energy to. Help me decide.

My writing in general is sex positive and usually includes queer characters, and I'm not shy about making them the main characters instead of red shirts and 20-seconds-of-screen-time throwaways. I also assume a certain level of genre savvy for ALL my characters, because more than likely, they've seen a movie or read a book of the same genre they're in before, y'know? I tend to straddle the line between drama and comedy.

Idea 1: A girl from a long line of evangelical righteous Irish Catholic vampire hunters falls in love with a vampire, and is prophesied to bring an end to the persecution of vampires by religious extremist hunters.

Idea 2: In the distant future, a team consisting of both scientists and military personnel explore distant unknown space and land on a planet with an Earth-like atmosphere with multiple intelligent alien species, some hostile and some potentially friendly, some primitive and others advanced. There are spaceships, robots, and advanced AI. Also there are some nasty alien diseases. And in turn, some Earth diseases ravage the locals on the planet.
RE: Which Would You See?
Idea 2. That's a movie I would like to see/ book to read.

Honestly I think the vampire thing is circling the bowl. Even zombies are beginning to wear thin.

With Star Trek and the up coming star wars movies I think the space thing is the way to go.
Idea 2. If done well can really make us look at ourselves differently.

Agree with Drich (words I never thought I would say) about Idea 1. Anything about vampires or zombies just looks like they're milking the trend and not really serious pieces.
Idea 2. Especially if it involvs gas masks somehow. Devil
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Vampires seemed to be the thing five to ten years ago, but overall interest seems to be dwindling.

The problem with the alien scenario is that there never is a properly good one. It would have to be as amazing as Avatar to catch my attention.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I would probably see both, but 2 seems more appealing.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Idk I really like Prometheus.

I think the space thing will be good if the Brits aren't given the script to produce.. ;P (they think they can do sci fi just because they like it..) But the world knows 'who' can and 'who' can't do sci fi

[Image: doctor_who_peter_capaldi.jpg]
Both.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I think option 2 holds a lot of potential. You can model it after earth's history and introduce tons of ethical problems (something good scifi always tries to do), would also be a reverse of the usual alien invasion story, now humans will be the invaders and you can get the aliens to do what we've always thought we'd do to aliens who come and visit us: nuke them or study them. It'll be really interesting and people would have to consider if one of the requirement for being an intelligent lifeform is to be cruel and dangerous because we'll see ourselves in these aliens.

Yea ... it's really late and I haven't slept for a while. But still, option 2 so much better than option 1. Not sure if there's even much room for originality in vampire stories.
(February 4, 2014 at 2:15 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Vampires seemed to be the thing five to ten years ago, but overall interest seems to be dwindling.

The problem with the alien scenario is that there never is a properly good one. It would have to be as amazing as Avatar to catch my attention.
Avatar was Pocahontas in space, and with no musical numbers, and super racist. Considering the whopping budget, I was definitely unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, my heart broke when Sigourney Weaver lost all her research (it's an anthropologist thing)... I mean, uh, when the evil white people cut down the Great Tree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2172 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 792 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 946 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 841 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  See Uranus and moon in binoculars, March 6, 2022 Jehanne 3 464 February 28, 2022 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 618 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1891 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 594 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2025 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 680 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet