Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much of the Bible do you believe literally?
How much of the Bible do you believe literally?
For instance, do you believe

there was a talking serpent who tempted Adam and Eve? (Gen. 3:1)

there was a talking donkey? (Num. 22:28)

the sun stood still in the sky for a whole day? (Jos. 10:13)

a shadow moved backwards on command? (2 Ki. 20;11; Isa. 38:8)

the prophet Elijah was taken up to heaven in a chariot of fire? (2 Ki. 2:11)

Jesus ascended to heaven? (Acts 1:9-11)

Skeptics, feel free to ask about other impossible events.

Theists, feel free to tell about other miraculous events you believe in or to explain which parts of the bible you believe only in a figurative sense.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
RE: How much of the Bible do you believe literally?
You don't need to only point out silly happenings, but also silly laws.

Like being stoned for breaking the sabbath? (Numbers 15:32-36).
Quote:George Carlin — 'It's all bullshit, folks and it's bad for ya.'
Dont even have to open the book. What is written on the cover.... is bullshit!!!
I feel that I can trust the copyright page of any version of the Bible completely and without reservation. Other than that...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Are there any Christians out there who believe in a literal talking snake? When I've asked they've always refused to answer.
I believe in all versus about women shutting up and making me a sandwich while I watch the game!

Quote:Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. - Timothy 2:11-15
Even if it was something that largely happened inside peoples heads what happened in their heads can still be very real. But the historical events, people and places we know are real people, events and places in their historical context as they are described. When you get to Genesis and other stories that's some level of spiritual portrayed in parable and dream visions and that kind of thing, it's not a literal account of how the Earth was formed and life evolved but it all ties in.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(February 7, 2014 at 10:12 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: Even if it was something that largely happened inside peoples heads what happened in their heads can still be very real. But the historical events, people and places we know are real people, events and places in their historical context as they are described. When you get to Genesis and other stories that's some level of spiritual portrayed in parable and dream visions and that kind of thing, it's not a literal account of how the Earth was formed and life evolved but it all ties in.

Couldn't the gospels be metaphors as well?
(February 7, 2014 at 10:16 am)catman Wrote: Couldn't the gospels be metaphors as well?

They likely are going to be to certain extent but I'm sure there was a real Jesus/Yeshua and the basic outline of the story and his death will be historically accurate. Along with his teachings and parables which likely were based on sayings gospel called the Q that may have resembled the gospel of Thomas though without the emphasis on salvation through secret knowledge.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I literally cannot avoid sinning; so, why... zwanzig 70 3769 July 23, 2023 at 7:43 am
Last Post: no one
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1850 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3079 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1414 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4864 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37434 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2798 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Theism is literally childish I_am_not_mafia 391 58497 November 16, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why Does God Need So Much Praise? Rhondazvous 57 8480 April 24, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy