Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand how some religion isn't child abuse
I don't understand how some religion isn't child abuse
When I was in high school there was a girl from a muslim family who had a full-grown beard because of a hormone imbalance and the family wouldn't let her shave it because they thought it would fuck them up spiritually or something. Can you imagine how psychologically scarring this was for the girl, and the bullying that resulted?

There are also countless examples of extreme psychological manipulation and cruelty from other religions (Christianity from my experience).

I split religion into two main categories: Stupid and Harmful. The stupid entries just frustrate me. The harmful ones enrage me. Why is some of this stuff publicly known and nothing is done about it? Is there not a line between religious freedom and abuse? I guess I'm just venting at this point but it blows my fucking mind.
RE: I don't understand how some religion isn't child abuse
I'm sure the things I lived because of religion were child abuse. I feel just as blown away as you do. Everything up to my escape from the bible institute was ridiculous. Any mistakes I made after that were due to not knowing what to do with my new freedom. I was lost in a new world I knew nothing about.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
hello respectable members

there are two look in religions

positive look for religions

and negative look for religions

and thank you for your thread
Thank you for your very intelligent, insightful, educated, and well thought-out reply.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Edward Gibbon
It doesn't even say that you need to grow a beard in the Quran much less that women should grow one if they can. I think Muslims grow one because Mohammed had one and he's the ultimate example of humanity and all that business and so a role model. I won't comment any further on that though.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
No wonder the bastards invented the burqa.
There can obviously be abuse in religion. I don't think religion is abusive by definition, and I'm sure you weren't trying to say that. It really depends on what parts people focus on, and most people do only focus on parts. Especially as parts of the world become more progressive. I've never been to a church where there are no female sunday school teachers, despite that the bible is implicit about women not even speaking in church or teaching anyone. In fact more often than not the sunday school teachers I've seen are women.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I do believe that telling a child that they or anyone else will burn in hell for any reason is abuse. It's a terrible thing to do to a child. Can you imagine believing that someone you love is going to burn forever and ever? It's awful.
I'm of the opinion that teaching a child what to think rather than how to think is child abuse.
(February 7, 2014 at 4:19 am)Boris Karloff Wrote: When I was in high school there was a girl from a muslim family who had a full-grown beard because of a hormone imbalance and the family wouldn't let her shave it because they thought it would fuck them up spiritually or something. Can you imagine how psychologically scarring this was for the girl, and the bullying that resulted?

There are also countless examples of extreme psychological manipulation and cruelty from other religions (Christianity from my experience).

I split religion into two main categories: Stupid and Harmful. The stupid entries just frustrate me. The harmful ones enrage me. Why is some of this stuff publicly known and nothing is done about it? Is there not a line between religious freedom and abuse? I guess I'm just venting at this point but it blows my fucking mind.

Religion helps keep the family nucleus together. The concept of family emerged when people had common interests and cared for each-other. When people became more selfish and driven by their own interests in bigger proportions, family became stronger because the common-interests driven group had many assets in the competitive, interest driven society.

Today the problem we face is that people became so selfish, self-indulging and driven solely by their own interests, that even families come apart. The divorce rates go up, the wife wants the husband's money, the husband wants daily blowjobs from the wife without her requesting anything material...we have reached a point of individuality where family is a dying concept.

I would not be surprised if the concept of Mom and Dad would vanish 100 years from now and the children raised in centers where they would encounter several male models, several female models, and would no longer be bound by the fights, the raging, the backstabbing, the passive-aggressive arrogance of Mom, and all the non sense occurring between a single male model and a single female model.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what age should a child be introduced to religion? Fake Messiah 82 5561 July 4, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10528 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  How do christens justify child molestation? AngryAtheist666 47 3707 February 15, 2021 at 5:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Religion an Attempt to Understand the World? EgoDeath 34 3402 December 20, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Disturbing child abuse linked to Voodoo and Chrsitianity downbeatplumb 5 895 January 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 791 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  How to raise a child as an atheist Alexmahone 13 2292 January 1, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7877 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 55901 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6566 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak