Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picture problems
Picture problems
I've been struggling to try and upload avatars because the file size is too large. What I've had to do previously was to crop the picture to a smaller size and then save as a JPEG file to make it small enough to upload.

Most cameras these days have millions of pixels and create large files. Is there a way that you can make the file smaller without having to reduce the size of the actual picture?
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
RE: Picture problems
Short answer: No.
Longer answer: Yes, but only if you reduce the colors in an image, convert it to grayscale, save it in a lower quality.

Quick Pro-tip: Use PNG.
(December 1, 2009 at 6:30 pm)Craveman Wrote: I've been struggling to try and upload avatars because the file size is too large. What I've had to do previously was to crop the picture to a smaller size and then save as a JPEG file to make it small enough to upload.

Most cameras these days have millions of pixels and create large files. Is there a way that you can make the file smaller without having to reduce the size of the actual picture?

If the error is about size in terms of Kbs then the easiest way would be to open the file in Photoshop or TheGimp and then 'SAVE AS' a .Jpeg with higher compression. You should see a slider that will allow you to pick a quality rating from 1-12, chose 6-8.

If the error is about size in terms of pixels using Photoshop or The Gimp again you can quite easily change the size of the entire image, Most avatars need to be 120x120 - 80x80 but i can't remember exactly what the specs are here.
JPEG has a quality level as well. You can usually save photos at 90% quality and they still look good.
theVOID Wrote:If the error is about size in terms of Kbs then the easiest way would be to open the file in Photoshop or TheGimp and then 'SAVE AS' a .Jpeg with higher compression. You should see a slider that will allow you to pick a quality rating from 1-12, chose 6-8.

So any problems with photo's, "just BRING OUT THE GIMP"? Big Grin (Pulp Fiction)

Thanks for the replies! I'll give them a go...
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
When I'm at work, where photoshop/gimp is not available, paint works fine. You can resize/skew an image by using percentages and if you're trying to make a really big picture into a small avatar for a forum, then it's fine. The image quality doesn't matter as much when you're going from really big to really tiny.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
IRfanview, ctrl-R, select size, save. You can even do batch conversions and resizing and renaming.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animation problems Minimalist 8 1326 April 23, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Picture display IATIA 3 1115 November 22, 2015 at 12:52 am
Last Post: IATIA
  trying to share a picture . . . drfuzzy 10 2509 July 11, 2015 at 3:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Two problems with mobile version Dystopia 1 1081 April 30, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Change Profile Picture? abtaylor 7 3685 June 10, 2014 at 6:35 pm