Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easily The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Been Told By A Fellow Atheist
Easily The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Been Told By A Fellow Atheist
We have a fair mix of friends - some believers, some atheists. One of the latter was at the house yesterday, and the convo got round to films.

I mentioned that the wife and I quote enjoyed the film 'Pitch Perfect' - myself because I've been a professional musician, and the missus because she thinks the male lead is the cuddliest thing on two feet.

Our friend look puzzled and said, 'But I thought you two were atheists.'

I assured her that we were and she said, 'Then why would you watch a film about a capella singing?'

It was my turn to be puzzled and our friend said, 'A capella means "from the chapel". If you listen to it, you're supporting religion!'

I accept that I lost the argument, as at this point, I collapsed in peals of laughter.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Easily The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Been Told By A Fellow Atheist
OMG! Too funny.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
You should keep some Gregorian chants and Islamic calls to prayer handy for when this dude drops by.
How foolish of her. She ought to know that the word "capella" is derived from the diminuitive latin word for cape. So this is merely a fashion statement to contrast groups with capes (supergroups) from ordinary ones. Alternatively, capella of course means "goat" as well, so "a capella" could also be interpreted as a commentary on the musical qualities of the group.

Well not everyone can be as smart as me, I admit...
As I've said before, being an atheist doesn't make you clever any more than not smoking makes you immortal.
Even the best of us can talk nonsense, once in a while

manowar
(February 11, 2014 at 11:10 am)Manowar Wrote: Even the best of us can talk nonsense, once in a while

manowar

Damn right. Talking nonsense is our god given right too. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 332 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 703 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
Lightbulb Computers have been converted to Islam religion! AVMXF 40 2680 August 20, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 836 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14039 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 33340 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3688 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4556 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6493 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  I told my little girl about angels yesterday... Jehanne 44 10741 September 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: mordant