Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm?
one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm?
Hi,

As Atheist's like to claim the logical high ground for some reason, I was just wondering if any of you can actually give me one logical/rational explanation for Atheism, in particular Materialistic Atheism, which is the only kind as far as I am aware.

Btw I am not Religious or Atheist.

Cheers,
Bob
RE: one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm?
Bob,

We know the material world exists. There is no evidence for "supernatural" things or deities, and no logical necessity for them. If you want to argue for the existence of anything beyond that which we readily observe, you have to do just that: make a positive case *for* whatever it is you want to claim to exist. Materialist atheists find that all existence claims for deities and such have failed to be compelling. Some theist apologists would like you to believe that "Observable universe+personal creator God exist" ist just as valid a default position as "Observable universe exists". It isn't, the first option introduces an extremely complicated additional assumption which does not solve any problems and only introduces new ones. Therefore, it is out of the window unless you have compelling evidence. Some apologists want to argue that their god is a logical necessity - all these arguments are nonsense.
I do not believe in a god or gods because I have not seen anything to make me think otherwise. Thats it.
Welcome Bob

You don't know much do you?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Does one need a specific explanation for the claim that one doesn't believe religious claims? That's all atheism is, by the way; a lack of acceptance of religious dogma, nothing more.

As concerns materialism, I shan't be speaking for everyone, but I doubt you'll find a strict materialist anywhere around here; most of us are smart enough to realize that we don't know everything yet, and thus won't directly discount the possibility that something more/as yet unknown about the material world exists. However, the time to properly believe that such a thing is out there is the time one has evidence that it does.

We aren't unjustified in believing in the material world because... well, it's here. We're... we're in it. Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Question is OP, do you believe in a god? If yes, please provide us the means to verify your claims. Otherwise you are an atheist.
(February 12, 2014 at 7:21 am)Bob101 Wrote: I was just wondering if any of you can actually give me one logical/rational explanation for Atheism, in particular Materialistic Atheism, which is the only kind as far as I am aware.
I found no evidence, material or otherwise, for god.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Yes, I would like to emphasize LastPoet's point. Most of us who identify as atheists don't mean that we have a 100% logically absolute forever fixed belief that deities don't exist. This is just not how we use the word. We simply, given our current knowledge, don't believe that deities exist. You could as well be an atheist in our sense - what is it for you?

I find the agnostic shtick "I can't prove either way, so I'm in the middle of the road and refuse to say anything on the topic" extremely annoying, because it is dishonest. These agnostics don't operate like that for any other claim, but this one is singled out and treated special to not offend. Do they also play the same silly game for Frooofroo the invisible unicorn? No they don't!

p.s. You misspelled atheism in the OP, that means you lose 5 points.

(February 12, 2014 at 7:33 am)LastPoet Wrote: Question is OP, do you believe in a god? If yes, please provide us the means to verify your claims. Otherwise you are an atheist.
(February 12, 2014 at 7:21 am)Bob101 Wrote: Hi,

As Atheist's like to claim the logical high ground for some reason, I was just wondering if any of you can actually give me one logical/rational explanation for Atheism, in particular Materialistic Atheism, which is the only kind as far as I am aware.

Btw I am not Religious or Atheist.

Cheers,
Bob

So you claim that atheists universally claim the "logical high ground"? I don't agree but lets move on.

As has already been pointed out to you, most of us do not claim to know whether or not gods exist. We merely do not believe in any based on what we now know. Upon receiving more adequate evidence we of course will be free to revise what we believe. So atheism as such does not necessarily entail a knowledge claim. It is merely a statement regarding a class of beliefs, those involving gods.

So, whether or not you are an agnostic surely you know whether you entertain a belief in a god, don't you? I know nothing of any gods, and so like you am an agnostic. But I know I have not a shred of belief in any gods since nothing I have experienced or been told has been sufficient to engender such a belief. How about you? Do you have any belief in gods?

Perhaps you have as much difficulty answering this question as I do. I have only the vaguest of ideas what a god is supposed to be. It is pretty tough evaluating the existence of something that is so fuzzily defined as a god. But from what I can gather, I don't find I pay them (gods) any mind in making any decisions. They are a non-factor in my deliberations. Do you find yourself taking the possible existence of gods into account in your deliberations? If not, I suspect you are actually an atheist, someone devoid of a belief in gods.
(February 12, 2014 at 7:46 am)Alex K Wrote: Yes, I would like to emphasize LastPoet's point. Most of us who identify as atheists don't mean that we have a 100% logically absolute forever fixed belief that deities don't exist. This is just not how we use the word. We simply, given our current knowledge, don't believe that deities exist. You could as well be an atheist in our sense - what is it for you?

Unless they can magically con us that the laws of physics aren't real, they should all bash their heads into a brick wall, their god surely would welcome a true believer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3676 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All science is materialistic Interaktive 106 5416 January 6, 2023 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2451 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2716 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Is God a logical contradiction? Tom Fearnley 561 39873 February 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2087 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  My 'Athiesm' DarthFritz82 9 1217 March 9, 2019 at 7:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3967 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3106 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik