Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Chuckle) Love It When A Preacher Packs It In!
(Chuckle) Love It When A Preacher Packs It In!
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/10...hpt=us_bn3

Quote:I enrolled into Liberty University’s seminary, aspiring to be a scholar and hoping to get a doctorate in church history. I graduated with a master’s of arts in theology in December.

But, to my complete shock, I found that my doubts led me into atheism. As part of my study at Liberty, I was exposed to many criticisms against belief in God. After studying theology and philosophy, I realized the Bible was not the word of God. Supernatural miracles did not happen. Jesus Christ was a mythical figure who did not rise from the dead.

My faith completely collapsed, but a clarification settled in my heart.

I understood that God is an ancient but powerful superstition. I signed up for Clergy Project, where I found fellow ministers who doubted the existence of God. They helped me deal with emotions I felt and helped me set new goals for my life.

Reality loves a moron come to his senses!
RE: (Chuckle) Love It When A Preacher Packs It In!
I thought this was going to be about a gay preacher.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
ROFLOL
Looks like Liberty University is aptly named.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Matt Dillahaunty from Atheist experience was a pastor too, and studied to become a minister after he read a passage in the bible that says you should be able to back up your beliefs. I forget the verse he quoted, but it led to him becoming an atheist.

Some people have said that the best path to atheism is sometimes a honest reading of the bible. Looking up the history of the bible and other religions doesn't hurt either. Nobody will ever tell you in sunday school that Mithras from hinduism had an almost identical life to Jesus.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Simple Way to Shut Up a Street Preacher Jonah 44 28674 August 12, 2016 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 29479 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  An Anti-Gay Preacher In My Hometown Was Busted On Grindr Faith No More 50 14122 May 25, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Alabama Preacher Admits having AIDS, Sleeps with Flock JesusHChrist 10 2962 October 9, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Hint not taken; son of dead rattlesnake preacher bitten. Ryantology 15 4538 May 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If i go to USA, how common is it to see a preacher on the streets Moira 33 9132 September 26, 2013 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Bikini Spring Break Beach Preacher. SaintGeorge 1 1840 March 24, 2012 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  God cannot love or be Love. Greatest I am 0 1401 December 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am