Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips on reading the bible for an atheist?
Any tips on reading the bible for an atheist?
Hi there. I've been trying to read the bible to see firsthand the inconsistencies and horrible stuff present in there. Well atleast that is what I'm trying to do. I'm currently stuck in Leviticus and it's boring me so much. I'm thinking about skipping it. So any suggestions and/or tips.

I find it ironic that now that I'm an atheist, I'm actually trying to read the bible haha.
RE: Any tips on reading the bible for an atheist?
1) Don't.

2) The Skeptic's Annotated Bible might help.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(February 19, 2014 at 3:50 pm)rensou Wrote: Hi there. I've been trying to read the bible to see firsthand the inconsistencies and horrible stuff present in there. Well atleast that is what I'm trying to do. I'm currently stuck in Leviticus and it's boring me so much. I'm thinking about skipping it. So any suggestions and/or tips.

I find it ironic that now that I'm an atheist, I'm actually trying to read the bible haha.

As theSummerqueen said, the Skeptic's Annotated bible is for you.
Dying to live, living to die.

I haven't done more than dip into it, but Isaac Asimov's books on the bible present a clear and lucid overview of what's going on in each book. I would think it a useful companion to actually reading the bible.

The other thing I'd recommend is taking it seriously and joining a group that is focused on bible study. This will likely entail some awkwardness, as most participants will be believers, but the bible is a lot of material, so having a group to help you keep your nose to the grindstone would probably be helpful, and the companionship could make the dry parts more bearable.

Also, as with any other large project, invest in good materials. It'll pay off in the long run. This likely means several bibles, including a study bible, bible software, hooking up with online services and forums, and so on. It's a large project and attempting to piecemeal it will only make it harder. (For forums, I could recommend theologyweb.com; they're very Christ centered, but also accommodating to skeptics and people of other faiths. You might take the question you've asked here and ask them; they no doubt have a much larger base of experience with the task.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"As an atheist, you are unqualified to read the Bible and understand 'God's word'. "

Will say some theist in 5,4,3,2,1...

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Quote: Hi there. I've been trying to read the bible to see firsthand the inconsistencies and horrible stuff present in there.

Quote: Strange, isn't it? He lays out his entire approach and thought process, so that everyone understands what it is he's doing... except himself

Quote: I was expecting the usual attempts to obfuscate the wishful thinking involved, at least. Guy just laid it all out there! 
Angel

If you just want to read the contradictions and dodgy stuff, Google "weird shit in the bible" or similar.

But if you're specifically looking for the dodgy stuff, and you want to skip to the rubbish parts, why bother? You're going in with your conclusion in mind and looking for evidence to support it. Much as a Christian who goes looking for evidence to support his intelligent design belief. Thinking

Besides, you're an atheist and thus unqualified to read the bible Wink
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

You're most probably right Jacob. It was kind of foolish of me to try read the bible with that kind of intention. Anyway, I might just do as you suggested and just google it. Well I will still might take a look at the other materials suggested.
Lots of people have done your work for you if that's all you want!
http://likes.com/weird/25-crazy-things-t...-the-bible
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: 1) Don't.

Yep.

(Moved comment to page 2)
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2776 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Being atheist in the Bible Belt MyelinSheath 37 8835 January 23, 2017 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4509 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  Suggested reading? Spooky 11 3446 September 8, 2015 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Any of you live in the Bible Belt? aces 31 4725 February 15, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 11976 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  How do you deal with "tips fedora"? MusicLovingAtheist 35 11959 September 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  i am a atheist and my grandpa gave me a bible atheist04330 33 5393 July 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  Reading the Bible made me an Atheist Cholley71 4 2945 August 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Tips on making Youtube videos on Atheism Cholley71 4 1874 June 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda